Spinnin' and spinnin'

angus63

Captain
Was out fishing Tues morning when all of a sudden my world changed. My field of view tilted, my eyes were not controllable, and I was stubling and falling with every step. I became nauseated and first thought was I was having a stroke. When we throttled down and got back in the bay, the symptoms subsided as long as I was still. If I moved, I would get out of whack immeditely. Blood pressure 125 over 65. Sugar 110. Pulse 80. What the hell.
Back at the dock after about 2 hr ride back and still same. Crew wants me to go to ER but I wanna just get home and lie down. Haven't been to Dr or ER in 20 yrs and I like it that way.
Wake up Wed morning and just as bad. Actually fell out of the shower shampooing my head. Wife demands I go to Dr. Call my wife's dr and he is indisposed till Thur. Spend Wed on couch. Feel fine when I am still.
Thurs see the dr and diagnoses me with BPV. Benign positional vertigo. Little crystals dislodge from inner ear and make their way to the balance tubes in middle ear. Crystals move at a different rate than the fluid and send your brain mixed signals about the acceleration and position of your head. Your eyes and head try to compensate which is why you feel like you are tilted and spinning when you are not.
No cars or boats until this passes. Meds (Antivert) makes it tolerable but I get real drowsy.
Gonna be laid up for a bit. Glad it wasn't more serious.

Anyone ever experience this? More common than I thought apparently after reading up on it. Reading and writing is exhausting with this, so all my future posts will be very short.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Yep, I've had BPPV for many years. Talk to your doc about the Epley Manuever which has helped me a lot.

And you may find that moving your head in certain directions exacerbates the problem. I don't look to the left much and keep people on my right while walking, etc. in order to prevent issues. For the most part it's not a big deal for me but I do pay attention to anything which might trigger a problem.

I don't have to take any meds for the condition.

Best of luck to you!

aspeck

Staff member
Never experienced it, but about at the end of the first paragraph was sure you were experiencing vertigo. Not fun to experience. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

sam60

Captain
Hey angus...I first experienced vertigo in the late 90's going down Cajon Pass. Years later I had the falling down dizziness that you are experiencing. I still have an issue or two on the long weekday commute.

I have tried meclizine and the epley maneuver. No help here. I recommend the epley to see if it helps you.

I feel for you and hope you are back to normal soon.

angus63

Captain
Thanks. Dr said most cases just fade away within a week and he would set me up with Physical treatments (Epley) if it persists. About 20% have regular reoccurences, which concerns me being at sea so often. Time will tell. Hoping for the best outcome.
Good news is I get to watch the hockey game tonite. Bad news is I could be offshore fishing on this beautiful night.

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
Had an ear infection start at work years ago,Everybody thought I was drunk.Kudo,s to the er doc who grasped the situation right away and had me ok in days.Scarey situation though.If I had of been with you probabl would of been mad at me cause you would of been going to the er voluntarily or tied up!Glad your feeling well now.

Last edited:

angus63

Captain
Up until Tues there was not an injury or ailment I couldnt remedy with black tape and/or Scotch. Not easy for me to surrender my pride and stubborness. My wife managed to out muscle a crew of 4! 💪👵

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
angus63 I feel for you. Never any fun not feeling "right". As for Dr.. I've had my fill over the past few years. As a matter of fact I was just released last Thursday after a nice helicopter ride to Milwaukee were they just placed my 11th stent. Sometimes it pays to let go of the stubbornness.

I suppose this is a condition that you'll now have to live with and adjust to. So all the best wishes to you my friend and don't fall out of the boat!

southkogs

Staff member
... My wife managed to out muscle a crew of 4! 💪👵
Sometimes that seems so amazing. And other days, you wonder why the whole world doesn't doesn't cower at her feet, y'know? :D

Best wishes that it's just plain over for ya'.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Sometimes that seems so amazing. And other days, you wonder why the whole world doesn't doesn't cower at her feet, y'know? :D

Best wishes that it's just plain over for ya'.

I know! Can't remember what I did exactly but I distinctly remember the admiral telling me after surgery to "stop doing stupid s*%t'" LOL.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Wow that sounds like a horror show. Take the rest get well soon.

angus63

Captain
Thanks for all the responses! Good news is I saw the Dr on Fri and all is well. Symptoms barely noticeable now and the medicine drops the symptoms to zero if needed. I am driving again (really missed the freedom) and gonna try a short inshore fishing trip (really missed that too) in the morning. Been almost two weeks of "stillness" and I am ready to get back to living. Wife wants me to wait another week. Gonna have to be real quiet in the morning! Wish me luck😃

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Sneakin' out of the house before dark. Hide the skillets before you go to bed - Waiting 'til morning will wake the Admiral for sure. :eek:

If you show any signs, please head back to shore without hesitation, Angus.