Spindle Question

rparde

Seaman Apprentice
I was pulling the boat to the ramp last weekend and noticed one of the wheels had a horrible wobble. After pulling the hub you can see some pitting on the spindle. The pitting is on the larger middle section of the spindle. Does the spindle look trashed or does it look like a new hub will take care of my wobbles. Thanks for the help

Ryan

Attachments

• Spindle.jpg
    Spindle.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 0

ken51k

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Spindle Question

How big of a boat and how far do you tow it? What you called the middle area does not matter, the next area is where the large inner bearing rides that should be cleaned up. If it isn't to bad use some emery cloth over it. The very back area (largest diameter) is where the grease seal rides. You will have to get a spindle sleeve for that. You should be able to get a spindle sleeve at any trailer parts store. Myself I think I would think about a new axle.

Spindle.jpg

rparde

Seaman Apprentice

The Boat is a 19' Bayliner which I typically only tow about a mile to the boat ramp. The axle is only 16 months old so I was hoping I could clean it up and slap it back together. I had to have this axle built so I didn't want to spend that money again if possible. Can a new spindle be welded on this side instead of replacing the entire axle? Thanks

Bondo

Staff member

The Boat is a 19' Bayliner which I typically only tow about a mile to the boat ramp. The axle is only 16 months old so I was hoping I could clean it up and slap it back together. I had to have this axle built so I didn't want to spend that money again if possible. Can a new spindle be welded on this side instead of replacing the entire axle? Thanks

Ayuh,... It Could,.... but you don't need a new quill,...

Just use a speedi-sleeve where the seal rides, 'n emery the rest of it,....

A new set of bearin's, complete, a new seal, 'n a speedi-sleeve is 'bout all ya need,...

Oh,.... 'n Grease of course,...

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ryan you can weld a stub shaft on and I have done that, but your picture doesn't look that bad from the top. All the wear will be on the bottom side of the a spindle. If your seal and bearing slide on the spindle with out too much slop I would put it back together! i little slop and some blueing from heat is not a problem. If the bottom of the spindle is a good as the top I wouldn't have a problem putting it back together!!:eagerness:

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A new set of bearin's, complete, a new seal, 'n a speedi-sleeve is 'bout all ya need,...

^^^ +1

rparde

Seaman Apprentice

Great, that is what I was hoping. Thanks for the help.

Ryan

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It is the seal surface at the very back of the spindle that looks bad. Unless a sleeve is installed, the new seal will be junk in about a mile and with water in the hub. new bearings will also be junk in short order.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

with the axle only being 16 months old. after you refresh this spindle/hub/bearings. Make sure you properly maintain it by checking your bearings a bit more often.

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jeez, I learn something new here almost every time I come. I've never heard of speedi-sleeve before but I looked them up and it looks like a great idea.