Speedometer question

pasquipa

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1992 Bayliner Trophy 2000 with a 150 HP Force outboard. My speedometer gauge does not work. I heard there may be a small hole somewhere on the engine that may be clogged with dirt/mud preventing the speedometer from functioning. Where would the hole be located. I don't want to replace the speedometer if this hole is just clogged. Where do I check for this ?

slolorus1

Cadet
Re: Speedometer question

The hole is not on the engine. It's in a triangular fin type of thing on the boat itself usually toward the rear. I don't know what the word for it is, but water passes through it to gauge your speed.

slolorus1

Cadet

The hole is not on the engine. It's in a triangular fin type of thing on the boat itself usually toward the rear. I don't know what the word for it is, but water passes through it to gauge your speed.

QuadManiac

Petty Officer 1st Class

The 'triangular thing' is called a pitot tube. It is about 4" long, mounted near the bottom of the transom on a pivot. A rubber/vinyl tube leads from the top of it to the speedo. It must be pivoted all the way down to be in contact with the water when running.

If it is damaged or severley clogged, you can purchase a new one with mount on eBay or at any marine store (even seen them at Walmart occasionally) for around $10-$15. It's a five minute replacement job.

Good luck!

pasquipa

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the information. Now that I know how it works and where to look, I'll check it out this weekend.