speedometer not working

WINTERSUX

Seaman Apprentice
my speedometer is not working. it just went out on day. i don't know the correct name for it but its the paddle wheel type that's on the back of my boat at the bottom. any ideas what might be the problem?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: speedometer not working

So what have you checked?? Have you stuck your head under the console to see if a wire has popped off the back of the speedo. Connections tight?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Is the paddle wheel still on the stern of the boat? Does it turn freely?
Does it connect to a speedometer or depth finder?
When you spin it does it show any speed?
If you hold a screw driver to the tip of the paddle wheel can you feel the magnetic pull?

rickryder

Commander

We need more info on what you have tried already to fix your issue.

WINTERSUX

Seaman Apprentice

yes wires are connected and it spins freely. i didn't know about the magnet. everything looks completely normal with it. this is my second season with a boat so I'm new to this. thanks for the help

rickryder

Commander

I would have someone watch the speedo while you spin the wheel to see if it moves... also check what Boatist said about the magnetic pull.... You could also trace the wires to make sure you don't have a broken connection along the way..... Check connections for corrosion too.

cr2k

Captain

Picture of back of boat may help here. Do you also have a pitot tube pick up for a pressure type speedo?

merlin696

Seaman

I ran into this with my boat, the little paddle wheel was actually for the depth finder (that was gone) and I had a Pitot (funny looking white thing on the bottom back) I must have hit a stick or someone moved it but the pitot swiveled up (as its suppose to) and wasnt catching the water pressure. Check for something like the image below, if it is there check to make sure its pushed down, if its pushed down pull the little black hose off and blow in it while watching the speedometer, if it breathes like a straw then the line is broken, if nothing happens it could be plugged up, if its not there im out of ideas.

pitot.JPG

WINTERSUX

Seaman Apprentice

there is something that looks like this on back of boat and it it pointing straight out or up. i will check in the morning.. yes i do have a fish finder. thanks for the help..

rickryder

Commander

merlin you hit the nail on the head ;) If it's not pointed down it will never work the speedo.....

WINTERSUX

Seaman Apprentice

speedo works again. i think i moved it last year when cleaning the boat... thanks