Speedometer not working

shmart2

Cadet
Hello, all. I have a 2001 Sea Ray 240. She was blocked up and of course, winterized until launched 2 Sundays ago. We have only had her out twice for short trips. The speedometer does not register any speed at all. The backlite does work. I checked the wiring diagram in the owners manual which shows the power to the other guages in the dash powered together, and with the backlite working, I'm thinking power is not the problem. I checked all the fuses also, there is not one dedicated to the speedo. It worked fine previously. I do not think it is related, but I installed a fixed mount VHF radio and 8' antenna a week or 2 before launch, but used a previously unused accessory slot in the fuse panel, just under the steering wheel. This does not use the pickup that hangs off the back of the transom. TIA, Eric

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Speedometer not working

Most boat speedometers get their signal from air pressure. As the water flows by the pickup tube on the transom it produces varying pressure according to the speed that is "read" by the gage on the dash. If you have a tube going into the back of your speedometer that is around 1/4" in diameter that is the way yours works. I'd look for a blockage in the tube - most likely in the pick-up.<br /><br />The electrical connection is for the light.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Your speedo does not use electicity, works off a vacum tube that runs from the sterndrive. Check the tube for blockage, and make sure its attatched to to the gauge properly.<br /><br /> Jim

MFG197

Petty Officer 1st Class

type,make, model of powerplant is essential to the question.

shmart2

Cadet

Sorry for not including power info, I didn't know it would make a difference, however now that I understand that the tube is in the outdrive, I understand. It has a 5.0 EFI with B3 drive. Where should I look for the tube at the drive- it does indeed have a black tube, about 1/4" in diameter running to the speedo Thanks again, Eric

MFG197

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the B3 is like my A1 Gen 2 then there is about an 1/8" "cut" on the leading edge of the drive between the lower gears and cavitation plate. then a rubber hose goes from a fitting on the top of the lower gearcase to the transom plate and then from the transom plate inside the boat to the speedo on the dash. maybe try making sure nothing got disconnected then maybe try reaming a piece of wire in the pickup in case there is any debris in there.

TilliamWe

Banned

maybe try making sure nothing got disconnected
That's the key right there. I'll bet you a nickel that either the tube is pulled off the fitting in the front of the ventilation plate, or the hole fitting is pulled out and just hanging there. If the drive was removed as part of winterization & spring launching, one of these two things happened. The fitting is yellowish in color & kinda shaped like a cross.<br />Unfortunately, this is a job you need to do with the boat out of the water, as it's very hard to reach it (as in, can you hold your breath & work under water?)

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

Clean out the tube of any blockage and if you can use compress air and blow out the tube from the gauge side.

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

I worried about my speedo for the first couple of years. But after cleaning the blockages out of the pickup hole for the umptenth time I decided that there was better things to worry about. My speedo has now been clogged for going on three years.

TilliamWe

Banned

My speedo has now been clogged for going on three years.
And I can't hardly get my tube on the fitting anymore, so I am going on my second summer of no speedo too! :D

shmart2

Cadet

Thanks all, for the replies, and feel free to add more- I will be checking.<br /><br />I do not rely on the speedo, in fact, I am sure that I can tell within a few MPH my speed by the tach and water conditions. I would like to have it working, though. I will try the compressed air idea first. I can access the back of the speedo fairly easilly, and the water is still a little cool for diving. Thanks again, Eric