Speedometer confusion

JStutz

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a 1993 3.0L Mercruiser used about 2 months ago. The speedometer dosen't work. I have learned from this site where the pitot is on the outdrive and it is clear. I unfourtunetly don't have a hose connected to it. I found a small hose sticking out the transom that I have traced out inside the boat heading towards the bow. (Assuming this is the speedometer hose)is there a special fitting that connects the hose to the pitot? The hose sticking out the transom is a lot smaller in diameter then the plasic fitting in the lower unit. I haven't found a good diagram of this part of the outdrive.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Jeff

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Speedometer confusion

You are missing a lot of parts there Jeff. You can see them in the first picture. They are the parts in the box {Parts #26 thru 32} and possibly the tubing going to the speedometer if the hose was cut off too short to reach the drive.<br />There is also several sections in the Mercruiser service manual that shows how to fix, repair and install the quick disconnect. The second picture shows how it is installed.<br /><br />
9.gif
<br /><br />
Speedometer%20hookup%20A1G2.jpg

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

Don--thanks for the diagram. I have been struggling with clearing my speedometer all summer. I am just one of those people who likes things to work.<br /><br />What is the easiest and cheapest way to get a Mercruiser manual for my make/model?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The easiest place to get a manual is from your local Mercruiser dealer. Just get your engine and drive serial numbers so you get the correct manuals. The cheapest?????? Got me. At work we get them for free because we are a Mercruiser dealer, so I never have to order one.<br />Here is something that might help with your speedometer problem.<br /><br />
Speedo_hole.jpg

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

Tried all that---was afraid of the drill bit going in too far. Just using my fingers here to hold the drill bit----and twisting slightly as I go trying to feel for resistance. <br /><br />Do I have really 2 7/16 inches before hitting the back of this cavity on the Alpha drive? I seem to hit something hard (like metal) at a little over one inch into the slot.

tommays

Admiral

you can hold the drill bit in a small tap handle which will allow it to turn and clear out the clog with out the fear of drilling into the case<br /><br />tommays