Speedo on Alpha 1

Peter1959628

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have cleared the tube from the dash to the stern leg.<br />Is the inlet the little "v" notch?<br />Does it just require unblocking?<br />What is the best way to do this ?<br />Thinking about spraying Wd-40 to loosen crap maybe

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Speedo on Alpha 1

hello<br /> I use a torch cleaning tip. its bad about clogging with wood debris. trim the drive all the way up and make sure the connector at the lower unit is still connected<br /> good luck and keep posting

Peter1959628

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Forgive me for being ignorant what is a "Torch cleaning tip"?<br />i poked a copper wire from the bayonet fitting and it stopped about 2 inches from the fitting<br />from the notch does it go straight up or in then up?

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Peter, Rodbolt is correct, checked to see if the hose is still connected in the middle of the lower unit! A torch cleaner is one of those rectangular flip open sheet metal containers, which has numerous different size Wires or mini roundfiles in it, that you can choose. Much like a flip open Allen wrench tool set. <br /><br />Another thing folks use to clear out the plugged hole at the bottom is a small drill bit. However, do not use the drill motor, just the bit!<br />I also have a home Air Compressor that I blow short bursts into the small hole, this is how I found out that my middle connector in my lower unit was not connected, when I heard the air rushing out. Be advised, most boat Speedometers are not that accurate, and I finally just gave up on cleaning mine, and try to learn approximate speed, using the RPM guage, comparing it to my handheld radar, but most folks use a GPS. <br /><br />If it is clogged, you should be pulling some debris out around or before 2 inches. <br /><br />Don't quote me on this part, but I believe just after 2 inches mine has a 90 fitting in it to go up to the middle connector we were talking about. I am not sure, I have not taken my lower unit apart as of yet, and would not do it over a Speedometer not working. <br /><br />Good luck Peter1959628, GodsBeast

Peter1959628

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the explanation of "Torch cleaners", must be an american tool as i'm not familiar with it.<br />It Just irritates me when something that should work and does'nt. Got a Gps but batteries flat! Next time i forgot to take it.<br /><br />Hopefully i shall get this thing unblocked. After using an old boat with 3.0 and getting this "fresh to me" 4.3 just curious on what it could do. The 3.0 did what i wanted & more speed wise as a first boat, ie. towed skiers/tubes fishing etc and all the rest.

Peter1959628

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got it !<br />3/32 drill bit by hand with tap wrench <br />went exactly 1.8" deep got soaked when water flowed out.<br />I think the hole is actually 1/8"<br />Proof of the pudding will be when we test on water<br />Thanks again