Speed/Temp Reading on Lowrance Elite DSI

PJ Tad

Cadet
I just purchased a Lowrance Elite 4 DSI Combo Sonar/GPS Chartplotter, that comes with a dual range transom mount transducer, yet to be installed on my boat. I know that the DSI Skimmer Transducer will read depth, show bottom images, and has a built-in temp sensor. The cable attached to the transducer, in combination with the power cable from the battery, is connected to the Power Port on the unit, which I assume will then display readings on the DSI Sonar screen.

But what about a boat speed reading, that I believe the combo unit is supposed to also display? Will this show as a function on the GPS Chart, or do I have to have the optional paddlewheel speed sensor also mounted on the transom, and wired to the other connection port on the unit (Speed/Temp Port)? On which screen would boat speed read out on?

Can someone help me out here? I know the paddlewheel speed sensor usually will give a more accurate reading than the pressure tube from the lower unit, but I may not want to mount another sensor since I am also installing fairly large trim tabs. I may just stick with the in-dash boat speedo, and not put another hole thru my transom. Boat speed would not be that critical for me when I am using DSI imaging.

Thanks

Re: Speed/Temp Reading on Lowrance Elite DSI

im not sure about the lowrance but mine is a gps speedo so theres no other parts required for speed or temp and depending on how you set the screen up you can display anything you want.