speed prop

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class
what do you think would be the best brand prop for top end speed?what about it being cupped?thanks.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: speed prop

150 H.P. 2001 johnson 2 stroke model # j150vxsif its running at 5100 rpm right now and i know i need to go buy a new prop and i know i need to go down in pitch 1 or 2 but i just want to buy the prop best well known for top end speed.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Before experimenting with props, make sure the engine is in proper tune. Then make sure mounting height is optimized. Make sure the hull is clean. Then think about props. Props are not one size fits all. What style works well on one boat/engine combination may not work well on another. Cupping adds about 1-inch of pitch. Work with your prop shop to find the ideal prop for your setup. Many will let you try before you buy. Just be a sport and buy from them after you complete testing.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok thanks :) one more thing how high do you think the motor should be mounted?

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok thanks :) one more thing how high should the motor be?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

That depends on the prop you get. A 4-blade can usually pierce the surface, so you might be able to go two or three holes up. 3-blades usually have to be fully submerged, so bottomed or one hole up is most common. I'd suggest the Raker for a 3-blade.

Esox

Petty Officer 1st Class

The type of hull and prop will determine how high you can go. Only way to know for sure is to raise one hole at a time and test it.

kp913

Seaman

Most of the time a safe bet is to keep the cavitaion plate no lower than the bottom of the boat. A lot of boats perform well with that plate near the middle or just about the drain plug hole. Less lower unit in the water the less drag you have while running.

propellerforumdotcom

Ron G

Commander

What kind of hull?fishing,racing?got a pad or steps?all factors in height also.

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

its fishing Round Bottom Hull no pads no steps

hitace

Petty Officer 1st Class

do raker props do anything to your RPM