speed on a 06 q4 sf

the boat weighs about 2200 pounds with a 3.0 litter mercruiser 135 hp the prop slip is probally 0 seeing it has never seen water the any info would help i dont have the boat here its in storage so i cant look to see what the outdrive ratio is so thanks

ruf1967

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: speed on a 06 q4 sf

Joking around? Maybe 43mph tops with a very light load, slight chop and the wind at your back. There is always prop slip, it will never be zero. What's the prop pitch?

well thats dissapointing but i got a good price 17895 seeing how its 20 405 on tahoe but the place i was buying it from this was the only 06 left all they had was 07 and they were 3 grand more with less options but with the 4 cyinder i wont be at the pumps every ten minutes well thanks if any one else has any inpute that would be greatly appreciated

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Try some Nauticus smart tabs (they will assit you to get on plane) once you have your boat on the water, get it's speed using a gps system @ Wide Open Throttle (just borrow one if you dont have one) . Then run over over to the prop forum's and post your, speed @ WOT, along with your rpm's, prop type, size and gear ratio

From there they will find a prop that will compliment your current setup........... Other than that be happy by the fact your passing the pumps up and could possibly crusie all day on one tank......8) Oppps and Congrats on the new boat
banana.gif
banana.gif
banana.gif

little side note speed is very expensive.:}

Bondo

Staff member

Just WHAT Is that Anyways,..??..??..

so i cant look to see what the outdrive ratio
That would be 1.98/1......

I Think that Ruf is about Right,.....
There's NEVER 0% Prop Slip,....... Actually 10% is a good # to shoot for...........
And,.......
43mph Might be alittle Optimistic.........

I have 1 Question though,................

Have You ever heard of Punctuation, or Sentences,..??..??................
Those Single Sentence Posts are Really Hard to Read................

Other than That,.......
Welcome to the Forums here at iboats,.......
Like Tail Gunner says,.....
All the Info you Need to get Your Boat running As Good as it Can is here for the Asking..........

The boat is a tahoe q4 sf. Also thanks for the answers.

haha sorry about above i had just woken up and was lazy.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Bondo, the sf stands for ski/fish. And Q4 is the model. At Tahoes website they have (or used to have) specks on estimated speed w/ certain engines.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Bondo, the sf stands for ski/fish. And Q4 is the model. At Tahoes website they have (or used to have) specks on estimated speed w/ certain engines.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

krazyballer489 said:
well thats dissapointing but i got a good price 17895 seeing how its 20 405 on tahoe but the place i was buying it from this was the only 06 left all they had was 07 and they were 3 grand more with less options but with the 4 cyinder i wont be at the pumps every ten minutes well thanks if any one else has any inpute that would be greatly appreciated

While 40+ mph isn't exactly raceboat speed anymore considering it is probably a base motor 40+ sounds pretty good to me.And carefully driven with a set of smart tabs it should deliver respectable mileage.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

steelespike said:
krazyballer489 said:

While 40+ mph isn't exactly raceboat speed anymore considering it is probably a base motor 40+ sounds pretty good to me.And carefully driven with a set of smart tabs it should deliver respectable mileage.

Well you have to keep it in perspective, after hitting a 2' chop at 40 it will feel like race boat speed's and if not ............ just give it awhile it will........o:)

ruf1967

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The big question you have to ask yourself is, "Do you like the boat?" If the answer is "yes" then don't worry about it and have fun.

troypolla

Petty Officer 1st Class

had the opportunity to buy one before i found my buy. It was an 04 Fish/Ski outboard. Had a merc 135 oil injected. looked nice. I think the price was only15000 or somewhere around that, but someone else bought it first. ohh well.

Tail_Gunner said:
Try some Nauticus smart tabs (they will assit you to get on plane) once you have your boat on the water, get it's speed using a gps system @ Wide Open Throttle (just borrow one if you dont have one) . Then run over over to the prop forum's and post your, speed @ WOT, along with your rpm's, prop type, size and gear ratio

From there they will find a prop that will compliment your current setup........... Other than that be happy by the fact your passing the pumps up and could possibly crusie all day on one tank......8) Oppps and Congrats on the new boat
banana.gif
banana.gif
banana.gif

little side note speed is very expensive.:}

thank you

sumcat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an '05 Q4SF with 4.3 190hp and have seen 52mph with Smart Tabs. Fuel economy is much better than expected when you stay below 3500rpm. I wanted the 4cyl but none in stock. The 4.3 in the SF model is a maintenence nightmare. You'll find the boat wanders badly at low wake speeds and porpoises at the blink of an eye. Smart Tabs will fix those problems and let you stay on plan at lower speeds plus get rid of the bow rise out of the hole.

sumcat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do a search on Smart Tabs and you'll find out all you need to know. They do work. I do have power steering. I think it was optional on the 4cyl.

sumcat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

krazyballer-You'll find that the pedestal mounts for your fishing seats get water in them and you can't plug the pedestals in and they also rust. Get some rubber stoppers at the local hardware. While you're there get some foam pipe insulation to wrap the mount over the engine compartment. First time you try to bend it with your head you,ll be glad you did.