Speed drop after rebuild - force 125

jimdi@localnet.com

Seaman Apprentice
I just had my force 125 rebuilt. New everything and bored out. I notice- now that break in is done (it has about 20 hrs on it) - that my top end speed has dropped from about 35 to 40mph down to around 30. Timing and linkage/sync is all set correctly. <br /><br />Is this normal?

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Speed drop after rebuild - force 125

I'm guessing, but it could be because you are running more oil through it for the break in period. Are you doing this and if so how many hours is this supposed to be done? I am not sure if you should be going WOT yet or not, but I am not one of the gurus here that would know all that for ya. I am sure that someone else will give more input. This is just my guess.<br /><br />I have the same engine 88 Force 125 and can get just over 40 on 20 foot bayliner.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Bryan Cox

enn

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Is the boat bottom clean?<br />Are you using the same propeller?<br />Are you getting the right WOT rpm?<br />Are all carbs opening up completely?

Deerdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are your RPMs any different? I am assuming that a throrough tune up was done to get the newly rebuilt engine to spec's.<br /><br />One other thing that could have happened and I have seen this happen after a top end rebuild. The problem is coming from the lower unit. the extra torque of the new engine is stripping the power end (either in the hub or the prop).<br /><br />Deerdog