Special Christmas Recipes to Share

LadyFish

Admiral
Since a member asked me for this recipe I thought I'd start a thread for everyone else to share a few too.<br /><br />I cook without recipes for the most part. So I did my best to try and put together this one, please feel free to ask questions about it.<br /><br /><br />Ingredients:<br /><br />Frozen Pepperidge Farm, Puff Pastry Shells<br />Scallops, cooked shrimp, and/or crab<br />Béchamel sauce <br /> <br />Filling Preparation: Start the puff pastry (see upper right) and whip up a nice Béchamel sauce since you have 20-25 minutes to work with.I add about 4 tablespoons real butter into frying pan, saute shrimp and scallops, cut larger scallops in halves or quarters, I also use fresh shrimp but frozen large or jumbo will work just as well (thaw first).Remove seafood from pan. Be sure you have at least 2-3 tlbs of butter left in pan. Add a couple of tblsp flour, mix well. Allow to cook a couple of minutes so you don’t taste the flour. <br /><br />Then use a little white wine about ½ cup, finished out with heavy cream or 12/ and 1/2. You want your sauce a bit thick and not too runny. I also add about 1/2 tsp of tomatoe paste just enough to give it a nice pink color. Then add the seafood. <br /><br />Shell Preparation: Follow the directions on the box and put the side stamped "TOP", face up on a cookie sheet in a preheated oven at 400 F for 20-25 minutes. Take them out a bit early before golden brown and use a paring knife to cut and remove the top. Make sure to remove any uncooked part from the inside using a fork or knife. Warning: If you over cook the shells you'll detect a smell like popcorn.<br /> When the shells are done it's fine to leave them out of the oven while waiting for the Béchamel to finish, but leave the oven on. With your seafood Béchamel take a teaspoon and fill the shells. It's always a nice touch to finish by putting 2-3 pieces of seafood right on top before replacing the round cover or top to the pastry. Turn the oven off and put them back in, taking them out in 4-7 minutes.

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: Special Christmas Recipes to Share

8.gif
<br /> Look out LF.......here comes the Adkins Police. You have the right to remain Hungry.

D

DJ

I thought LF was holding out on us. ;) <br /><br />Here's FISKPR's Sausage Bread.<br /><br />Sausage Bread.<br /><br />Here is the requested sausage brunch loaf. really easy to make and when its baking the smells drive ya nuts. no matter where she has brought this there is always requests to bring it next time. In fact she has to make it for christmas eve and new years eve party up at the lake. this is one of the few things my wife can cook. usually i do all the cooking but she does make a killer lasagna too. personally i think she pretends not to know how to cook just so i do it.<br /><br />1 lb loaf frozen white bread<br />1 lb pork sausage. (i like it with jimmy deans hot, but when she makes it for other people she just uses the regular jimmy dean breakfast sausage)<br />11/2 cup Mozzarella cheese<br />1/2 tsp italian seasoning or 1/4 tsp each basil & oregano<br />two eggs<br />Defrost bread and roll into an 18 x6 rectangle. cook sausage and cool. Mix cheese, herbs and 1 egg into sausage. place in center of bread and pinch together. bend into shape of circle and pinch ends together. she uses a round cake pan and sprays it with pam first. beat second egg and brush on bread. cut slites in the bread let rise 2 hours back at 325 degrees about 25 minutes. <br />we have add different ingreideints for a change such as green peppers. onion, mushrooms. about the only one i really liked was the mushrooms and onions. usually just make according to the recipe.

spratt

Lieutenant

Does anyone have a good fudge and/or Turtle's candy recipes? A friend of our family makes some of the best Turtles I have ever eaten, and I would simply LOVE to best her for once :D

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

I let the ladies do the cooking on Christmas.<br />All my recipes include 80 proof(at least) liquor. ;)

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by Ed:<br /> I let the ladies do the cooking on Christmas.<br />All my recipes include 80 proof(at least) liquor. ;)
Well said Ed...Don't ask questions just eat til they stop you. :D

LadyFish

Admiral

I also make sausage bread during the hoidays.<br /><br />Basic white bread recipe<br />1 pound cooked bulk hot italian sausage, if you can't find bulk, <br />just slice the links and remove skin(I sometimes<br />add pepperoni too)<br />Marinated mushrooms<br />2 cups of shredded cheese (a mixture of swiss, <br />mozarella and provalone)<br /><br />I start by making a basic white bread recipe, let rise for 1-1 1/2 hours. Punch down and roll out into a large rectangle. Not to thin or all the goodies will come out.<br /><br />Layer dough with sausage, cheeses, mushrooms, then roll using the submarine wrap technique. Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet seam side down.<br /><br />Allow to rise another hour. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. Grease the outside with real butter when the bread is still hot.<br /><br />It's always a big hit. :)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"Christmas Fruit Cake Recipe"<br /> <br />Ingredients:<br /> <br />1 Cup water<br />8 oz mixed nuts<br />1 Cup brown sugar<br />1 Cup butter<br />1 tsp. Salt<br />2 Cup dried fruit<br />4 large Eggs<br />Juice of 1 lemon<br />1 tea spoon baking powder<br />1 bottle bourbon<br /> <br />Method:<br /> <br />Sample the bourbon to check quality.<br />Take a large bowl.<br />Re-sample the bourbon to ensure it is of the highest quality.<br />Pour one cup and drink. Repeat.<br />Turn on the electric mixer, beat one cup of butter in a large<br />fluffy bowl.<br />Add one tsp sugar and beat again.<br />Make sure the bourbon is still okay. Cry another tup.<br />Turn on the mixerer.<br />Break two eggs and add to the bowl, chuck in the dried fruit.<br />Mix on the turner. If the fried druit gets stuck in the<br />beaterers, pry it loos with a drewscriver.<br />Sample the bourbon to check for tonsiscency.<br />Next sift two cups of salt, or something. Who cares?<br />Check the bourbon.<br />Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.<br />Add one table. Spoon. Of sugar or something. Whatever you<br />can find. Grease the oven.<br />Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees.<br />Don't forget to beat off the turnerer.<br />Throw the bowl out of the window, check the bourbon again<br />and go to bed.

FSHKPR

Ensign

okay heres the only thing i really look forward to, as far as christmas goodies. <br />Brandy Balls<br />1 cup crushed vanilla wafer cookies<br />1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips<br />3 tbls light or dark corn syrup<br />1/2 cup brandy, (i usually go with about 3/4 cup)<br />1/2 cup powdered sugar<br />1 cup chopped nuts<br /><br />Melt choc chips in double boiler. blend in brandy and syrup, add cookies, pwd sugar and nuts and mix well let cool 30 min or until cold enough to handle. shape into 1 inch balls and roll in regular sugar makes about 65 to 70 1 inch balls

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

SBN- That still makes me laugh out loud! Thanks for the great laugh today!<br />Bassy