Speaking of cheap saws....

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So, I got a thing in the mail the other day from Lowes - spend over $25, and get $10 off... Ok, pretty good deal. So, I go in and pick out a cheap "GMC" brand 10 inch miter saw for $80. I bring it home and start cutting some 1/4 round molding for a bathroom I've been working on.... <br /><br />I get done what I need to so I go to cut the leftover 1/4 round into smaller peices for storage - and WHAMO! Wood and metal shatter everywhere!!!! The BLADE BROKE!!!! After taking inventory of fingers and patting myself down for blood several times, I was unharmed, just shaken up.<br /><br />These are some pics of what was left of the blade:<br /><br />
05_01_05_1604.jpg
<br />
05_01_05_1710.jpg
<br />The guy at Lowes said he had never seen anything like that before and said he was glad nobody was hurt.<br /><br />I'm done with budget tools.

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Speaking of cheap saws....

Wow. :eek: I had a carbide tooth come off a saw like that once and hit me in the chest. It hurt. :rolleyes: I bet you could sue whoever made that blade and end up with a brand new boat... :D

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Holy crap!!!

Bondo

Staff member

WOW......<br /><br />I pop the carbide bits off blades when I turn them backwards to cut sheet steel......<br />I've Never seen a blade come apart like that though....<br />Looks like a Bad Heat-Treating Job.....<br /><br />What's the Name on it ???<br />Is it an Off-Shore blade ??

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've broke a few C4 teeth on MDF by starting the material into the blade two fast. Most blades are made of C2 to take the shock. That blade just looks like a bad Assembly job - as Bondo said.<br /><br />Real lucky no damage done - it pays to work from the side; not directly in front of the work.<br /><br />I to would like to know the brand?

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

I just got done using that exact same saw for installing my 550 sq foot of laminate flooring.<br /><br />I'm glad my blade (the one it came with) didn't do that. They seem to be the same blade. That saw blade cut through tons of hard laminate flooring, quarter round, etc. If my blade was going to break, it should have done it by now.<br /><br />I, too, got that $10 card in the mail and used it today to get one last box of laminate flooring for my closet pantry.<br /><br />My blade was made by GMC and was made in China. It is a tungsten carbide blade.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I bought a similar $99 on sale saw last year.<br />Didn't use the blade as I wanted a fine tooth for what I was doing. The blade I bought cost $56.<br /><br />After seeing your blade, maybe I will throw the "stock" blade in the trash.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just like James said, it was "GMC" brand (General Machine Tool Company - or something like that)with the blade that came on it - GMC brand.<br /><br />I think I'll call GMC in the morning and let them know what happend...but I'll leave it at that.<br /><br />Man..I was really happy about having a miter saw..now I'm kind of gun shy. <br /><br />Ugh..crappy saws.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Let us know what GMC says. Show them the pictures as well. They might end up doing a recall if several customers have similar problems.<br /><br />They don't want a lawsuit.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I will report back about what GMC has to say. It made me feel a little better that when I returned it, the guy at Lowes said that he had never seen that before. I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else - but GMC should absolutly recall them if it has happend more than once. <br /><br />I personally don't plan on a lawsuit with them. I wasn't hurt, so no real harm done.<br /><br />Before I started using the thing, I thought about taking the guard off because it seemed to make the saw a little clunky ... man am I glad I didn't now. I'm sure it stopped the blades from hitting me.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh, and by the way - the bathroom is done, and it looks good! :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Wow, you are lucky!<br /><br />Since you are done you should head out and play the Lottery!

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Let me know if you need to borrow a mitre saw. I have a dewalt with plenty of blades (that don't break). I think the problem was not so much with the cheap saw as with the cheap blade. If I were you, I would consider keeping (repurchasing) the saw and just buying a better blade.<br />George

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I would write the blade manufacturer and saw manufacturer and inform them of the event. Include pictures. Never hurts to let them know how dangerous that blade was and how close to big lawsuit they came if you were injured.

MudIsFun

Seaman

I was cutting some 1/4 oak strips on edge several years ago with my miter saw and the blade tacoed. Did not loose any teeth from the blade but a good 1/8th of the blde folded over onto it's self and as it rotated through the guard it busted several bolts right off. This was a mikita saw and scared the heck out of me.

agrazela

Petty Officer 2nd Class

YIKES!<br /><br />This is why work gloves and safety goggles were invented. I even wear a hardhat when using power tools.

D

DJ

Glad you're OK.<br /><br />I had a similar experience, last weekend. Using cheap (offshore) (my fault) drill bits, I had one (3/8") shatter and proceed to drill into my left thumb.<br /><br />It really didn't hurt, it's just nasty. It ripped all the skin off the bottom of my thumb and stopped at the bone. No emergerncy room for me, there was nothing to sew up. ( guess I'll have to amend my FBI prints- :D ) <br /><br />Looks like a perfect opportunity for a lawsuit- NOT.<br /><br />No one to sue, here in the US.<br /><br />Ya get what you pay for. I learned a VERY VALUABLE lesson-again.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I did email the manufacturer (http://www.gmcompany.com/) today to let them know what happend, sent the pictures, and ask that they put out a recall if this has happend before.<br /><br />GMC, Global Machinery Company is an Australian owned company and only has overseas numbers posted on ther website. I bet calling them would cost more than the saw! :) <br /><br />I'll post their reply if they ever get back to me. <br /><br />RubberFrog - thanks for the nice offer! I got what I needed to done, so right now I don't need a miter saw, but I'll let you know if something comes up..then again, Sears is just around the corner from me and those Craftsman tools are pretty nice.. :) <br /><br />I was wearing safety glasses when it happend, but no gloves or hardhat. :) Next time I use a power saw, I think I'll put on a suit of armor! :)