speaking of cars...Hyundai Sonata

one more cast

Captain
I was out looking at cars the other day and those Sonata's seemed like a pretty nice car for the price. Does anyone here own one and what is your thoughts and concerns about this car. I know this is an entry level car and I don't want this to turn into another Bayliner debate.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: speaking of cars...Hyundai Sonata

Don't know if the US one is the same we have, but I looked at new and used Hyundai's closely about 3 years ago.<br /><br />They looked OK new with lots of features but had lots of problems indicative of poor quality a few years later when used. Minor stuff like knobs on doors breaking off and coatings on roof racks or exterior mirrors coming off. Not what you'd see on average quality Australian and probably US cars of the same age.<br /><br />If you were only going to hold it during its warranty period it might be OK, but they struck me as a very nicely packaged version of cheap Asian tools that are OK but not what we'd generally expect.<br /><br />My mechanic loathes them to work on and for build quality, but there are probably others who think they're great.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

My niece had one, I know a sample of one is not representative, but my impression was same as Tinkerers. Great looking package, not so great product. All the "stuff" (knobs, handles) has that cheap feel, like plastic with a chrome veneer. Like the window motors sound like their straining too hard, that sort of thing. She traded it in on a Camry when she graduated college.

NYMINUTE

Captain

In my book they fit the "Throwaway Class" Like the Mucus (Focus) Geo's and the neons.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

According to Consumer Reports Hyundai has moved up several notches in the quality ladder lately.<br /><br />They had a long way to go. I wonder how they compare to Toyota and Honda.

dolluper

Captain

The fastest moving car co is KIA it's putting a run on the Japenese ones bigtime not a bad bucket of bolts very reliable excellent warrienty and very cheap I agree I hatted working on Hy's small cars that gave big scars

eeboater

Commander

Well, my step-dad (a mechanic) calls them 100,000 mile sh*tboxes. Meaning, at 100,001 - plan on towing it away -- if it ever gets there.<br /><br />Sean

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Dont they have a 7 year waranty?<br /><br />They are cheap for a reason, everything is cheap, but if you dont care about build quality, its a good buy.<br /><br />A guy at work has one and he has good luck with it.<br /><br />Ken

D

DJ

I'll just say this.<br /><br />A warranty is only as good as the company that writes it. Hyundai "bailed out" of the US market after a short foray, in the eighties. Only to leave owners high and dry.<br /><br />The car itself, os OK, just beware that it may go the route of Daewoo.

one more cast

Captain

The warranty reads like this:<br /> 10-YEAR/100,000-MILE<br /> powertrain protection<br /><br /> 5-YEAR/60,000-MILE<br /> bumper-to-bumper coverage<br /><br /> 5-YEAR/100,000-MILE<br /> anti-perforation warrenty<br /> <br /> 5-YEAR/UNLIMITED MILES<br /> 24-hour roadside assistance<br /><br /> AMERICA'S BEST WARRANTY

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

I had a 96 Hyundai Sonata, loved it until it was total by being rear ended. Bought a 1999, 6 cylinder Sonata, even better. Car has 63,000 miles hasn't needed anything but basic maintenance. Last year Hyundai quality was rated second behind the Japanese and in front of BMW's and Mercedes by Consumer Reports. I'm told this year they're #1.<br /><br />The Hyundai Excels were junk. The Elantra's had problems but the Sonatas on up are excellent cars. I never thought I would buy one until I test drove the 1996 Sonata. It was a combination Hyundai Engine, Mitsubishi Tranny. The 1999 is all Hyundai.<br /><br />Compare the Hyundai Santa Fe to the Honda CRV. No comparison. The Santa Fe is a real truck. They just came out with the Tucson. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.<br /><br />Anyone remember the Honda 600? A car with a 750cc motorcycle engine. Nobody laughs at Honda anymore. The same thing is happening with Hyundais.<br /><br />Rode in my friends 1999 Camry and he in my Sonata. He thought he made a mistake buying the Camry.<br /><br />At 32,000 miles my car developed a miss. I had recently switched dealers. The first dealer had skimped on maintenance. The second dealer replaced plugs and wires UNDER WARRANTY! I couldn't beleive it.<br /><br />Go stand around the service desk of a good Hyundai dealer, you will not hear a lot of complaining by owners. I've owned Japanese cars before and heard many more complaints at various dealerships by owners.<br /><br />I'm not sure what DJ was referring too about Hyundai bailing out of the US market. We've had dealers here that have been around since Hyundai entered the market.<br /><br />My wife drives a 2000 Hyundai Sonata with the four cylinder. The 6 cylinder package is definately nicer but her car is a very comfortable and reliable everyday ride.<br /><br />There you have it OMC, I've owned 3 and am very happy.

D

DJ

I'm not sure what DJ was referring too about Hyundai bailing out of the US market. We've had dealers here that have been around since Hyundai entered the market.<br />
Apparently, I've been in the automotive business too long. Don't you mean, when they reentered?

springhead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my daughter has a 2002, 3 years old now, no problems yet

Dunaruna

Admiral

When hyundai entered the auto building industry they were what KIA is now - POS! But they have evolved into a reasonable entry level vehicle, IMO. <br /><br />Aldo

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

For a different opinion; I bought a 2003 Sonota new (V6) and now with 23+ thousand miles it hasn't had a single problem, not one, period, and there's no cheap plastic feel to it, just solid quality. Say what you want but the 2004 Sonota was just voted the MOST reliable car bar none, way better than the lowly rated Europeans and USA cars. On Christmas eve 2004 I bought a second Hyundai and junked the LAST (F)(O)r(R)epair(D)aily I will ever own, what crap cars (mechanical recall after recall after recall not to mention all the safety recalls) and the very short warranty says it all, compare that to 100,000 miles on the engine and drivetrain that Hyundai gives you. If you doubt me, check the used car ads and see how many Hyundais are for sale compared to any US car. Quality talks and BS walks.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I have a 01 Elantra. I love my little car. It has plenty of get up and go. Its great on gas. Its sporty with its wing (spoiler). Its cheap as all get out. To consider what it was worth you do the math. I bought it with zero down. The dealer asked me what I wanted to put down, I said nothing. He asked why I thought I could buy a car with nothing down. I asked what, is the car not worth what they wanted for it? About 10 minutes later I had a new car, ttl included in financicing (sp), not a cent out of my pocket. The warrenty is what attracted me. I have 42000 on mine now and don't see it dying anytime soon. I will probably buy another. They made it possible for me to keep the wife in a nice vehicle, me keep my truck, plus have a third car.

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hyundai have had a very large increase in market share in the last few years. I used to think of them as a fringe car but i think that they can now start being considered as more mainstream. About five years ago they had the worst depreciation by far of any car in our market, I think like the Japanese before them, they learn and improve all the time. It is a pretty impressive warranty.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yeah great warranty just try to find a dealer that will service one. There are less than 900 dealers in the US. Yes they are growing but... if you are vacationing and encounter a problem or if your son/daughter is at college with it and has a problem and there is no dealer within 200 miles... the warranty is no good.

Grant S

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would think that would be a good question to ask if considering buying one. They must have strategies in place to sort out potential problems anywhere in the USA.

KaGee

Admiral

Just my .02 worth...<br /><br />I live in a modest middle income neighborhood... I see quite a few Hyundai's and Kia's around. What strikes me.... and maybe it's just the people who buy them around here don't take care of them... is that they age quickly. My neighbor's Kia is not even a year old and it already looks 3 or 4 years old. Just something about the finish of those Korean cars.<br /><br />Whereas my 4 year old Escape looks pretty good when she gets a spit shine!