Speaking of BIG catches!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have several Golden Orb garden spiders around the The Hideout. <br /><br />I feed them when they don't catch much for a while.<br /><br />I fed "Goldie" several grasshoppers over the past few weeks and she has gotten pretty big and begun to lay a far more effective web.<br /><br />This morning she set a new record; she caught a cicada, and it is bigger than she is!<br /><br />Here's proof.<br /><br />
watermark.php

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Speaking of BIG catches!

Damn that's one big a$$ spider. I have a friend, like 6'6" and 350 pounds, deathly afraid of the smallest spider. Love to mess with him. If he saw this thing he would crap his pants. <br /><br />Is it dangerous? Any venom or anything? Cool that you're feeding him, never thought of a wild pet spider.

JB

Not a pet, Steve, just a wild friend.<br /><br />Completely harmless to people, and quite beneficial for all the pestiforous bugs she eats.

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have found that for all the bugs that they are purported to consume that they are the dirtest and filthest creatures to crawl upon the earth. They make cockroaches look like Mr. Clean. I have hundreds of Black Widows, and many other types here. I used to live and let live til one of them bit me causing an ulcerated place on my left foot that is still not healing properly. Now they merely die. Everyday, with chemicals, heavy objects and let us not forget operation "Hell Fire" that has been very effective on adults and babies as well. I know make it a point to search and destroy daily. I detest snakes, but let them alone because of all the benefits of some species especially Black snakes. However, spiders must die.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Cool JB. We had one in our tomatoes last year. Such a beautiful spider. Thanks for sharing.<br />Bassy

SoulWinner

Commander

Completely harmless to humans??? I respectfully beg to differ, kind sir. Several years ago my dad and I were metal detecting in the woods near Spanish Fort, Alabama; looking for civil war artifacts. The woods out there are slap full full of these web spinning behemoths. I was concentrating on readings from my detector as I turned to my left and walked right smack into a web that spanned about 12' between two pines. Guess where the spider was?? Almost dead center of my face! In the spastic gyrations that ensued, my detector flew one direction, my spade another, and I wallowed around with arms and legs slapping, waving and kicking until I had beaten my self to a bloody mess. The spider survived, suffering nothing less than a badly damaged web and a cramp in her side from laughing at me. For weeks after that everything that touched me sent me into acrobatics! Harmless indeed!

JB

LMAO at SW. :D :D :D

Link

Rear Admiral

Just reading this darn post makes my skin crawel!<br /><br />But her/she ???<br /><br />Now I know how I checked to make sure one of our new kits was a boy. Just can't see you doing that to a spider!<br /><br />Ewww ick... makes me want to wack the puter screen with a broom :eek: <br /><br />Good Day ;)

crab bait

Captain

nuthin' like the sensation of walkin' into a web.. <br /><br />it just screams " I'M LIVE I'M LIVE.. <br /><br />( for now ) :)

gaugeguy

Captain

No problems with spiders, I just wish they could catch snakes in their webs.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

There ain't much in this life that I am afraid of, but you have a post that encompasses the two major phobias that I have.<br />Spiders just give me the creeps. God hasn't put a creature on this earth creepier than a spider, and walking into a web is enough to make you want the entire genus to go extinct.<br />As far as snakes go, they remind me of politicians, lawyers, and other vermin that the world would be better off without.

KaGee

Admiral

Oh what a tangled web we weave..... :D