spark plug

Max_Door

Seaman Apprentice
One of the spark plugs on my 56 johnson 15 is bad. The insulator does not appear to be damaged, the plug does not look worn out, but I have no idea how old the plugs are. I know that it is bad because I can swap cylinders and isolate that it is the problem. The plugs are c j6. I cleaned the carbon off the gap areas and now it only will almost fire, still no good. <br /><br />My question is, can a plug look good but still be bad? I have always been able to clean and correct a fouled plug before. Just wondering. Also, why such a heavy tarnish of carbon? I guess that is a symptom of something wrong?

jamesboater

Seaman Apprentice
Re: spark plug

hello going from experiance i have brought new plugs that are bad and wont fire, i have flooded engins and then found the plugs wont fire even after cleaning, if i was you i would simply replace the plugs, you mite not be able to get that plug but im sure there is an equivalant to it,

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: spark plug

Champion J6C gapped at .030" is the correct plug for your engine. I don't think there's much difference between it and the C J6 other than it's a full sized plug. Might as well get the right ones though.<br />Run the new plugs at full throttle on a boat for a couple minutes, then cut the engine, pull the plugs, and examine them for appearance & differences. If they're still building up carbon then you're probably running rich.