Spark Plug Wires?

63 Evinrude

Cadet
I’m going to change the plug wires on my 18Hp 63 Evinrude this weekend. I was just wondering if anyone has a suggestion on manufactures. I know there are a lot of high performance wire on the market, but don’t know if they would help or hurt. Thanks in advance, and happy holidays.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Spark Plug Wires?

No need for High Performance wires on your Motor. The standard wires will last you another 20 Years. You can get some right here on iboats site or your dealer.<br /><br /> Plug wires<br /><br />Or here, as it looks like they are out of them for now:<br /><br /> web page<br /><br />They have 4",6",9" and 12" wires

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The bottom line is to get solid metallic core plug wire, 7mm size. You should be able to buy it by the foot from a small engine repair shop...<br />- Scott

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Chinewalker <br /><br />So the ones they sell on these sites are sub-par? Just wondered so when the time comes, as to what the difference is and do the dealers sell the better ones?

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Accel make solid-core high performance 7mm wires. I got a spiffy lookin' set of yellow ones from NAPA. Accel p/n 3009.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

walleyehed

Admiral

Rick, Chinewalker, The main concern is wire core, not carbon core.<br />If they are not available here,(iboats) as suggested, a small engine dealer (Briggs, Kohler) carries bulk, and it's stainless core.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

...but iz it a spiffy yellow? ;) <br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

BillP

Captain

walleyehed,<br /><br />Thanks for posting about the stainless core. I posted that same info some time back and a few thought that was bogus info. The only thing that goes wrong with ss core wires is the rubber coating gets brittle.<br /><br />Bill P.