Spark Plug Wires

BigDiesel

Seaman Apprentice
Yes, I know that the ignition, electrical, and fuel systems for a boat differ from their counterparts in a car. However, are the spark plugs wires also different? I would think that an 8mm spark plug wire would be the same.<br /><br />What do you think?

Trent

Captain
Re: Spark Plug Wires

True marine wires use corrosion resistant brass terminals.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

check with your local auto parts store. My OMC 302 uses wires that are different due to their routing. On the automotive equivalent, the wires leave the distributor, go over the valve cover and down to the plugs. <br />Because of the water jackets on the marine version, the wires leave the distributor, go down along the front of the cylinder heads, then back along to the spark plugs.

merc 140 pontoon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wonder if an automotive wire that caused a fire would invalidate your insurance.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Many inboards use different distributors than the equivilent automotove engine, so the connectors my be a different size or style. The following is the Federal Code concerning marine plug wires.<br /><br />[Code of Federal Regulations]<br />[Title 33, Volume 2]<br />[Revised as of July 1, 2001]<br />From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access<br />[CITE: 33CFR183.440]<br /><br />[Page 776]<br /> <br /> TITLE 33--NAVIGATION AND NAVIGABLE WATERS<br /> <br /> CHAPTER I--COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION (CONTINUED)<br /> <br />PART 183--BOATS AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT--Table of Contents<br /> <br /> Subpart I--Electrical Systems<br /> <br />Sec. 183.440 Secondary circuits of ignition systems.<br /><br /> (a) Each conductor in a secondary circuit of an ignition system must <br />meet SAE Standard J557.<br /> (b) The connection of each ignition conductor to a spark plug, coil, <br />or distributor must have a tight fitting cap, boot, or nipple.<br /><br />[CGD 73-217, 42 FR 5944, Jan. 31, 1977, as amended by USCG-1999-5832, 64 <br />FR 34716, June 29, 1999]