Spark plug wire help

I know i need to replace my wires, however my local dealer says they are NLA for my engine and I will have to make my own. I assume there is a "do it yourself kit" but I have never heard of making your own spark plug wires. Anyone have any insight on this. My motor is a 1986 75hp Mercury 4 cyl 2 stroke. Thanks in advance!!

Ridiculous

Seaman
Re: Spark plug wire help

I know i need to replace my wires, however my local dealer says they are NLA for my engine and I will have to make my own. I assume there is a "do it yourself kit" but I have never heard of making your own spark plug wires. Anyone have any insight on this. My motor is a 1986 75hp Mercury 4 cyl 2 stroke. Thanks in advance!!

well i'm not familiar with your motor, but i am familiar with making my own spark plug wires.

you can get universal plug wire kits from any auto parts store. just go in and tell them you need a plug wire kit for a 4 cylinder engine.

it's super easy to do, just have them show you how!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Automotive wire will not work as they are not a solid core, go to Promarineusa.com and order them.
7 in wire is # 3025 @ 5.55 ea
9 in wire is # 3026 @ 7.14 ea

Traceyh

Seaman

I dont know what engine you have, nor how old it is, but I have an 88 Mariner 90HP, and it requires wire core plug wires, not graphite core, and also 0 ohm caps, not resistor caps. Resistor caps and resistor plugs were designed to prevent RF interference with radios and tv's back in the day. I dont know how it would affect the ignition system on an outboard.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Actually you can get everything you need at your local lawnmower shop. They sell the solid core wire by the foot and the non-resistor caps. Usually at a better cost because it doesn't say"marine" on it.

Winggedwheel, I have only been a boat owner for 6 weeks now and the first thing I have noticed is that if the word "marine" is on the package it usually doulbles the price. Funny how that works. Thanks for the input.