spark plug somethings???

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys, I have a 55hp Homelite, it has these things on the end of the spark plugs that crimp on. I don't really know how to explain them. They almost seem like they are to lengthen so the wires reach but they reach without them too. Two of them are corroded and broke when I pulled them off so I was wondering if they're neccesary. I can put pics on if you need them. I should add that this is a 4 stroke motor, around a 1967. Thanks.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: spark plug somethings???

I wonder if they just might be resistors for suppressing RFI (radio/electrical noise generated by the ignition system)? Many modern outboard spark plugs have a resistor incorporated into them, and on modern auto engines they use resistance spark plug wire for the same effect. <br />I'm certainly no expert on the Homelite's ignition system, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't need to have resistor on the plug. But you'll probably want to run one anyway, since it eliminates interference on your VHF, fishfinder, cell phone, or whatever. You can simply switch to a Champion RJ12C which has a resistor built into it, rather than use the J12C.<br /><br />EDIT: Champion's website indicates the J11C as an alternative spark plug for that engine. So it looks like resistors are optional.

boatsalotjay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: spark plug somethings???

Thanks Paul, thats a big help. I'll just switch over, needed new plugs anyway.