Spark Plug Gap/Fuel Economy

newf1

Seaman
I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the GAP Setting is for the spark plugs to fit a 1985 20HP Evinrude?<br /><br />Recently I the motor started acting up at take-off. She spitted and sputtered, serged, until finally reving up to speed. After I took out the spark plugs I noticed that one of the two was caebed up a fair amount and the other was not so bad. I guess this is part of the reason for poor fuel economy as I mentioned in my previous post.<br /><br />Wide open to 3/4 runs smooth but once idled down she started to spit and sputter. I adjusted the lean mix knob slightly and apopeared to smooth it out a little prior to removing the plugs.<br /><br />Any tips on getting this old girl running smooth a glass is greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Cheers

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Spark Plug Gap/Fuel Economy

OMC has recommended .040" in the past, Newf, but current recommendations are for .030".

fireman57

Captain

Might clean and rebuild the carb if it hasn't been done in a while. Cheap and pretty easy fix. Might just have an old fouled plug. Make sure you use champions.

newf1

Seaman

Should I go with the current recomendations for 0.030? Not sure which is best for this older motor.