Spark Plu wires-when to replace

StillFishin'

Seaman
My spark plug wires are as old as my engine- 20years. I have noticed a little stubmbling at WOT and I'm wondering it it could be the wires. Alos can I just get auto wires as replacements.<br /><br />thanks guys.<br /><br />StillFishin'

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Spark Plu wires-when to replace

StillFishing<br />I do not like to just replace parts unless there is some kind of problem. Also I belive OEM wires Better than most after market wires. My wires are 23 years old and perfect. If you think the wires are bad do two things. Get an OHM meter and check them end to end. Look for cracks in the wire and also start it up at night and see if see any flashes. If you must replace get the best set you can find and make sure have big heavy wire and tight boots at both ends. Remember a SPARK can be deadly on a boat.<br /><br />On my boat do two things. I replaced the carbon wire from the Distributer to the coil with a good Solid wire. I do this because has no effect on radios or other electronics and I have seen these wire fail more than any other carbon wire and if this wire fails you will be dead in water. In my tool box I carry one Spark plug wire long enough to use on any plug and I carry a spare coil wire.<br /><br />Before I supected the wires I would change plugs and also Points and condensor.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Spark Plu wires-when to replace

I agree with Boatist for the most part....<br />Besides, a High Speed Stumble is more likely caused by a Lean condition....<br />I'd be looking at the Carb.....