Spark on on cylinder

Sevy419

Recruit
Hi my 1997 evinrude 40hp engine is only sparking on one cylinder and it's the top cylinder. It has duel spark coil.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Actually it is 2 coils in one part.----Switch the orange blue to bottom and orange green to the top.-----Test for spark with a test device.-----My wild guess is that the powerpack failed.

Sevy419

Recruit
Actually it is 2 coils in one part.----Switch the orange blue to bottom and orange green to the top.-----Test for spark with a test device.-----My wild guess is that the powerpack failed.
I switched the two wire from power pack to coil and then I had spark on opposite plug. The motor wouldn't run on bottom cylinder. If I switch them back it will run on just top cylinder. So is that meaning the power pack is the problem?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Of course it won't run with top signal firing the bottom coil.------It proves that BOTH coils are good.----I would say install a new powerpack.----Easy to do.

Sevy419

Recruit
Of course it won't run with top signal firing the bottom coil.------It proves that BOTH coils are good.----I would say install a new powerpack.----Easy to do.
Ok I ordered I new powerpack. Thank so much for your help..

Sevy419

Recruit
Hummm!
Wonder what made the power pack fail?
Heat? Vibration? Loose wiring?
No clue. I didn't see any signs of heat. Wires all seem tight. But one of the bolts to hold powerpack in place was not tight. Are you saying it's not normal for power pack to go bad?

Sevy419

Recruit
I got new power pack installed & ignition coil and I still only have spark on one cylinder. Do you have anymore ideas?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I can not see , hear or feel your motor.-----One sensor coil under the flywheel ( fires both coils) on your motor.-------One charge coil under the flywheel ( fires both coils ) on your motor.-----You observed that you had spark from both coils.-----That leaves a bad powerpack I would say.----More trouble shooting required.

paulwang

Cadet
I got new power pack installed & ignition coil and I still only have spark on one cylinder. Do you have anymore ideas?
Hello, have you finally solve the problem. I have same problem. Probably a bad stator or the wire from stator to power pack?