Spare Prop & Needed Tools Question

scottjima

Cadet
I will be purchasing a new SS prop and carrying my original prop as a spare. I plan to stay w/ a 3 blade 23P as my WOT RPMs seem correct.<br /><br />I want to be able to change the prop in water, if necessary. What tools, washers, nuts, lube, etc. will I need to purchase along w/ the prop?<br /><br />Any opinions on the Cabelas SS props, Stiletto, Mich. Wheel?<br /><br />Thanks

tommays

Admiral
Re: Spare Prop & Needed Tools Question

there are plenty of one piece prop tools but i dont care for plastic ones<br /><br />then you need all the hardware because you never no what you might drop when your changeing it<br /><br />i have dived down 15 ft to get the thrust washer back i keep a spare now<br /><br />you could spend the rest of your life trying all the props made if theres a good prop shop in your area many will let you test before you buy<br /><br />tommays

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, tommmays is all over this. Should also remember to grease the shaft periodically. If you whack one and can't get it OFF, you have yet another problem. Also, as tommays has suggested the thrust washer is a MAJOR spare need. Be careful whenever you remove a prop in the water as the thrust washer can stay stuck to the propeller just engough to get it off the shaft and then they magically fall off. :eek: Just put your hand down around the shaft as you pull off the prop and cover the "bottom" of the prop as you pull it off the shaft. Then you can look and see if the washer is with the prop or still on the shaft.

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

I keep an adjustable box wrench onboard for a multipurpose tool...I also have a couple lines with snap clips already tied to both ends...if I need to remove prop while on water..I first clip line to wrench (make sure you have ohter end attached to boat!) so if you do drop it...it doesn't go far. <br /><br />Keep a complete prop replacement onboard...nut, shearpin/cotter pin, thrust washer and if it is the new separate hub style...a hub. <br /><br />-JustMrWill

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So, you are saying we should keep a spare on board of all of those small parts shown in the illustration? Plus a wrench and a spare propeller?<br /><br />
Michigan%20wheel%20ill.jpg

CATransplant

Admiral

Hmmm...another of the joys of owning geriatric old outboards. Let's see....spare parts....shear pin and cotter pin...maybe a new plastic cone retainer thingie. Tools, none.<br /><br />Changing props in less than a minute...priceless.<br /><br />Sorry...just couldn't resist. It's one of the few joys of owning geriatric old outboards.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Stevens:<br /> So, you are saying we should keep a spare on board of all of those small parts shown in the illustration? Plus a wrench and a spare propeller?<br /><br /> http://home.broadpark.no/~ssjoborg/Michigan%20wheel%20ill.jpg[/IMG]
It's not necessary to have ALL those parts. Just the parts that you will accidentally drop to the bottom of the lake. The crystal ball should have the answer for ya. :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yep Stevens, everything in the pics. You could have most of those and the one part you don't have could mean a tow instead of finishing the day on the water. Let alone the safety implications of not having a way to get the boat underway.<br /><br />Oh, BTW, make sure the spare stuff fits the spare prop. You could have a spare that uses different hardware and visa versa.

tommays

Admiral

well it dont take much longer to change one on and outdrive and we aint got no pin to shear ;) <br /><br />the XHS kits come with all the parts for 39 dollars which is way better than going to your merc dealer who gets 22 for the thrust washer alone <br /><br /><br />tommays