Space Travel

eeboater

Commander
My great grandfather died when he was 107. When I look back at what he lived through, from the end of the Civil War, through the invention of the computer and beyond, I am stunned! He died in the early 90's. <br /><br />I was watching NASA TV a lil while ago and they were showing video of the astronauts in the station floating around like they're in a big swimming pool. What I'm wondering is, since I'm only 26, what do you guys think the chances are of me being able to experience space travel, or at least able to see what it is like to personally "float in space" like an astronaut before I move on to the next adventure?<br /><br />Hopefully, I have a minimum of 50 years ahead of me. Thats a LOT of time in todays world of rapidly advancing technology.<br /><br />Sean

what66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Space Travel

Id say your chances are good with space ship one flying now.<br />since the civilans are now going into space and with all the problems nasa is having I think civilan space is going to bypass the goverment soon.<br />but I think there will be some losses.<br />space will soon be a comercal endever.

eeboater

Commander

What do you guys think -- would it cost less in the long run to shoot a plane several miles up into orbit, fly in space for a while just to come back in? There's less gas required to propel people in Orbit since there's the lack of friction/gravity.<br /><br />Sean

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

I remember reading about a major plane manufacturer looking into space orbit as a solution to long haul flights. <br /><br />Still lots of problems to overcome but I'm sure it won't be long before it becomes a reality

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

If your looking to experience 0 gravity, I've seen where the fly some large cargo jet to a high altitude then go into a controlled dive. It creates 0 gravity and the people float around inside.

Cranky18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually it takes a LOT of fuel to get an object into orbit. The space shuttle has to reach 17,400mph to reach escape velocity. Spaceship One just goes up to above 60 miles and gravity pulls it back in. NASA is working on a plane that uses a "Scramjet" or air breathing rocket to take a vehicle to the edge of space at mach 10 (7,200mph at sea level). They say that if that technology works, they may be able to fly to the edge of space then normally operating rockets could take over and boost a vehicle into orbit. This would make spaceflight much cheaper. Still a long way off though. I'll probably have to watch you go from my rocking chair :D

saxis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Exactly how they filmed the movie Apollo13 I've heard... Dec'ed out a 737 to look like a shuttle, took it up and did a nose dive. Scenes would all have to be fairly short... I couldn't imagine them diving for more than a few seconds.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Saxis:<br /> Exactly how they filmed the movie Apollo13 I've heard... Dec'ed out a 737 to look like a shuttle, took it up and did a nose dive. Scenes would all have to be fairly short... I couldn't imagine them diving for more than a few seconds.
Would this be the same way they filmed the moon landing ;) ;)

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> <br /><br /> what do you guys think the chances are of me being able to experience space travel,<br /><br />Sean
Make sure you post about your adventures at ispaceships.com. Hopefully not under the SHT forum. :)

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Saxis:<br /> Exactly how they filmed the movie Apollo13 I've heard... Dec'ed out a 737 to look like a shuttle, took it up and did a nose dive. Scenes would all have to be fairly short... I couldn't imagine them diving for more than a few seconds.
23 seconds of weightlessness was the number I heard.

Triton II

Commander

There's a modified 707 nicknamed "The Vomit Comet" which is used to train astronauts. It pulls up into a 30 degree climb then pushes over until it achieves zero g. It can maintain zero g for up to 20 seconds as it flies through its parabolic arc. It doesn't dive too much as it takes too much g to pull an airliner out of a steep dive. As trainee Air Force pilots we used to muck about by taking a flying glove off and seeing how long we could keep it floating in the cockpit. Ahh - memories! :)

D

DJ

Until politics leave any space exploration program-we're grounded.<br /><br />We, as a nation, LOVE our politics. We are more seperated than ever.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

eeboater, I'd say that your chances are pretty good. I read an article today that Richard Branson (Virgin) and Burt Rutan (Scaled Composites) are teaming up to build a fleet of sub-orbital vehicles. Pretty expensive right now but just like most technology, it will expand and the price will come down eventually. I'd love to earn astronaut wings some day!

rwise

Captain

eeboater, got $20,000,000 laying around? If so you can go :D

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by rwise:<br /> eeboater, got $20,000,000 laying around? If so you can go :D
Ahhh, I'll just wait until it is a ride at Disney World. By that time, the $562.34 for the day pass as Dizzy World will be much more cost effective than the $20,000,000.<br /><br />Sean :D

Link

Rear Admiral

LOL With Spinner<br />But back to Daisey Dukes post...eeeer eeboaters.. yes at your age I think you might.<br /><br />My Grand father 1885 - 1985 lived through the most amazing time in the human experience.<br />I'll leave it at that<br /><br />Ice boxes were state of the art.. horse and buggy were normal and gas in cities had replaced oil lamps.. WW1 WW2 Korean war Vietnam, planes to space travel and computers.<br /><br />In 1900 (15 years old) he was commerical fishing on the Columbia river before dams and 100 pound salmon were normal. Even though we had steam and motors most of the boats were sail at the time.<br />Just loved talking to him about that.<br /><br />You might even see flying cars also..<br /> http://www.moller.com/