Southern Democrats, The Plantation Mentality, and the Mayor of New Orleans

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Political commentary:<br /><br />My dad grew up in central Louisiana, the son of a fourth-generation sharecropper. "Sharecroppers" are what the slaves became after they were freed, and a lot of poor (read "non-property owning") whites fell into the same occuption. You do the work, raise the crop (in this case cotton) and get a shack to live in including a plot to grow your own produce, hunting & fishing rights, and a fraction of the proceeds, the rest going to the property owner.<br /><br />It was important for the property owners to keep the sharecroppers on the farm...without a lot of mechanization they couldn't have made much profit otherwise. So it was important to perpetuate the belief that sharecropping was really all they were suited for. Keep 'em from aspiring to anything more. <br /><br />The political machine that facilitated this was the Democratic party, most notably Huey P. Long. Instituted a lot of social reforms that really did benefit the people of the state (aside from the graft and corruption): highways, bridges, school lunches, free schoolbooks, but also, social welfare programs designed to make it possible for sharecroppers to stay on the farm. After all, if their families were starving, they would have to look elsewhere for work.<br /><br />So, they had a sort of "social contract" whereby the Party would send busses to pick up poor voters, pay 'em each a few bucks & show 'em how to vote a straight ticket (or mark the ballet for 'em). In return, the Party would continue to provide all those wonderful benefits...not so much as to lift 'em out of the dirt, but enough to keep 'em from becoming too dissatisfied. This is what I think of as the "Southern Democrat."<br /><br /><br />That was just the next logical progression of the "Plantation Mentality," whereby the owners up in the Big House were responsible for the wellbeing of the workers, same as the livestock and tractors. <br /><br />I don't think Louisiana has sharecropping anymore, but they do still have vestiges of that "Plantation Mentality." So now, you have thousands of people saying "we had a deal, we have a contract, you are responsible for us, you owe us a rescue." I think, to rescue them is the right thing to do not because we owe it to them but because it's just the right thing to do. I don't think many here will disagree with that.<br /><br />I heard the Mayor of New Orleans making a desparate plea for help on the radio "...I need troops, I need 500 busses..." a very desparate situation, I feel sorry for the man, he is responsible for a lot of souls. Now, politics have changed. This mayor isn't part of the big, rich, white Democratic machine of the 30's & 40's. and 50's maybe (somebody help me out here).<br /><br />Think about it, why didn't he arrange for 500 buses when he ordered the evacuation of his city? I have no doubt the people of America would have responded just like we are responding today, only it wouldn't have been too late. I think it has something to with the Plantation Mentality.

D

DJ

Re: Southern Democrats, The Plantation Mentality, and the Mayor of New Orleans

I heard the Mayor of New Orleans making a desparate plea for help on the radio "...I need troops, I need 500 busses..." a very desparate situation, I feel sorry for the man, he is responsible for a lot of souls. Now, politics have changed. This mayor isn't part of the big, rich, white Democratic machine of the 30's & 40's. and 50's maybe (somebody help me out here).<br />
The mayor is covering his tracks. His prodigious use of four letter words tells me volumes about his personality.<br /><br />He had over 1000 school buses at his disposal, with drivers, yet decided to let them sit and get flooded.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Interesting and logical analysis, JT.<br /><br />Having grown up poor in the south I can identify with a lot of what you say, but we weren't poor because of the sharecropping system, we were poor because my stepdad believed that FDR was the second coming and died debt ridden with no insurance. The SS sytem told my Mom that she could have $25 a month to raise 5 kids on, provided she didn't work. She told them something very rude and raised us to believe that we are responsible for ourselves, to be "taken care of" we had to sell our souls. I still feel that way, which means I have nobody to blame for any trouble I get into except the guy in the mirror.<br /><br />Why do I go to the trouble to explain all this? Because being poor is not the problem, being a dependent, "helpless" victim is the problem.<br /><br />The system JT explains so well is responsible for it, with one exception: the descendants of "house slaves" were usually partly educated and had pride. They ran the system out of the view of the public even more viciously than the white bosses. That is where the term "plantation system" came from. . . the "house slaves" had and kept power and used it to suppress the "field slaves".<br /><br />As DJ points out, the Mayor had the resources to do what he attacked the Feds for not doing. He screwed up and is trying to hide behind a pointing finger.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Interesting post. But we do owe them everything we have to rescue them. Why, because they are Americans. We don't owe them food stamps and all the other vote buying programs, we do owe them safety. Send in everything we have. These are people. Let the buildings burn, they have no value anyways. Help these people at all costs. They have a responsiblity to help in anyway possible, which includes not looting, rioting, or hindering the rescue in anyway.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Huh? I ain't buying it, sorry. The citizens of N.O. were told told to leave. 30 hours in advance. Mandatory evac, there's a damn big hurricane coming. What else do you need to convince you? Walk if you have to. Have disabled family members? Push them in a wheelchair or shopping cart. I don't want to hear any excuses as to why no one could leave.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Last time I checked it was not a "Right" to be saved from natural disasters.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

"...I ain't buying..." That's okay, Eric, it ain't for sale. If you want to just let 'em die, that's okay, plenty of help from the rest of America; and if you or any of your relatives ever need assistance, I'll be there for 'em, in spite of your attitude.<br /><br />"...not a 'Right' to be saved..." Maybe not, Mark, but it's our responsibility to save 'em whether they got a right to it or not.

agitator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The National Guard is under command of the governor of each state. The Alabama and Mississippi governors had their troops alerted and prepositioned nearby where the storm was expected to hit. Not so with the governor of Louisiana. Why not and why isn't the mayor and 3 star chief of police asking her why instead of blaming George Bush and the world for their misery when they haven,t even used their own resources available to them without even having to ask anyones permission.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jtexas, a Mandatory Evacuation order is just that. Leave at all costs. Get it? If you choose to ignore it, don't get mad if a rescue helicopter passes you by.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by ErikDC:<br /> Jtexas, a Mandatory Evacuation order is just that. Leave at all costs. Get it? If you choose to ignore it, don't get mad if a rescue helicopter passes you by.
This is what is great about America: You can have a "Live and let die" attitude like that, but if you get into a tight spot, we'll still be there for ya anyway.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I kept on wonder the whole time "Rescue yourself people"<br /><br />Several times the media used the word "renegade" to describe those that commandeered buses and big rigs to bring themselves to the shelters.<br /><br />I dont call them renegades, I call them resorceful.<br /><br />Ken

KaGee

Admiral

Interesting JT.<br /><br />I think today we might refer to that as the "welfare mentality."<br /><br />Something I heard the other day... the Democrats had NO problem getting these people transported out to the poles in November. Why didn't they just apply the same strategy here?

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I said my piece, if you don't like it, I don't care.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

""...not a 'Right' to be saved..." Maybe not, Mark, but it's our responsibility to save 'em whether they got a right to it or not."<br /><br />That wasn't meant to be as calloused as it may have come across. I was referring to the people who were outraged because they weren't saved quick enough. They are lucky they were saved at all! And it just goes to show that no matter now negligent people are in the preservation of their own life, the USA will still come to their rescue in spite of themselves. Even if its not as quickly and as conveniently as they might demand.

Twidget

Commander

This discussion reminds me of a joke, not the humor, but the point of the joke.<br /><br />A man is being flooded and prays for God to save him.<br /><br />A police officer arrives and offers him a ride. The man says nope, God will save me.<br /><br />After the water rises, a boat comes by and offers the man a ride. He again says, nope, God will save me.<br /><br />As he sits on his roof, a helicopter tries to save him but he will not go. He tells the rescue diver, nope, God will save me.<br /><br />He drowned and entered heaven. When he saw God, he asked Why did you not save me? I prayed for Salvation.<br /><br />God said, I sent a police officer, a boat and a helicopter, what more do you want?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

One thing that did make me laugh was the rescued woman who blamed it all on George Bush saying "And let me tell you something, George Bush, I won't vote for you again!" . I guess she forgot that we limit presidents to two terms in this country. LOL!

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here's a good one for you: According to one very little publicized news story, shortly after the hurricane left the area, several private watercraft showed up wanting to help evacuate people stranded in the flood. The Louisiana DNR and Coast Guard had to turn them back, because even the official boats were being shot at by low lifes. My opinion, there are some people that I would risk my life and my boat to try to save, there are others, that I fear would not be grateful and would most likely try to push me overboard and steal my boat.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, perhaps they have no "right" to be saved. That is moot.<br /><br />We have a responsibility to do our best to save them.<br /><br />When someone is in trouble because of his/her own failure or inability to act responsibly angry demands for rescue and accusations against those who risk their lives to try really demotivate the potential rescuers. All that is not to mention the risk of getting murdered in the attempt.<br /><br />Why were they "so slow" to get there? They didn't like getting insulted and they didn't want to get robbed and murdered.