soups..i.e. this forum is the best

crab bait

Captain
tryin' to make a lentil soup.. i'm on the south beach diet .. abiet,, the docs tryig drugs are way too side effect wacky... <br /><br />can't take 'em <br /><br />an refuse to take 'em .. AMA can stick it in a major way.. <br /><br />their ammo ain't right for me.. <br /><br />anyway,, i'm tryin' to make a lentil soup.. <br /><br />i love progresso lentil but it's just not SBD kosher.. plus it's to $$$ an the cans are gettin' smaller.. <br /><br />anyhoo..<br /><br /> i like to make my own.. got a good recipe off a good web site.. but ask a ?,, an the person never comes back..<br /><br />add 6 pieces of chopped canadaian bacon the last 6 minutes.. <br /><br />is that raw or cooked..?????..???<br /><br />an can i use turkey bacon in loo..??..??<br />which i'm sbd allowed...<br /><br />also ,, does anyone have a good simple lentil soup recipe..??<br /><br />ya see ..i love progresso lentil soup.. <br /><br />if i was gonna be executed tommorrow.. for my last supper i'd request lentil soup with every chopped up veggie , spices, chopped cheese an hot sause.. <br /><br />give me that,,, you can fry me..<br /><br />help me out here.. the 'other' web site wont respond..

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: soups..i.e. this forum is the best

Yo, Crabby!<br /><br />1 lb. bag of dried lentils.<br />Celery<br />Spanish yellow onions.<br />Carrots.<br /><br />Make about 6 cups of court bullion by simmering 2 large or 4 small onions, 2 or 3 cloves garlic and 2 stalks of celery (all diced) in 6 cups water for about an hour. Salt and pepper to taste. Strain. Discard the veggies.<br /><br />Add about 1-1/2 pound sliced carrots and the lentils. 1 Tbs. Liquid Smoke (hickory or mesquite. I like the mesquite) 2 Tbs teriyaki sauce. Optional: 1/8 tsp Tabasco.<br /><br />Simmer until carrots and lentils are tender.<br /><br />Enjoy. :)

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

I'm guessing the canadian bacon is sufficiently cured to be added as is. Just my guess thou, kinda like ham.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) You can also use thin spaghetti in that lentil soup!!! ;) <br /><br />I love lentil soup!!! :cool: <br /><br />We use it out of the can!!!

SoulWinner

Commander

Here are a couple of recipies for Lentil Soup:<br /><br />2 cups lentils<br />2 quarts water<br />2 slices uuncooked bacon, cut in pieces<br />1 medium onion, sliced<br />1/4 cup chopped carrots<br />1/2 cup chopped celery<br />3 tablespoons chopped parsley<br />1 clove of garlic, crushed<br />2 teaspoons salt 1/4 teaspoon pepper<br />1/2 teaspoon oregano<br />1 16oz can tomatoes<br />2 tablespoons wine vinegar<br /><br />Wash the lentils and place them in a pan with the water, bacon (turkey bacon is OK) onion, carrots, celery, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, and oregano. Cover pan and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Add the tomatoes andbreak them up with a spoon (or use diced tomatoes), add the vinegar and simmer 30 min. longer. Taste, add more salt, spices etc. to please you. Makes about 10 servings.<br /><br />Spicy Red Lentil Soup<br /><br />2 tablespoons oil<br />1 medium onion, finely chopped <br />1 teaspoon ground cumin (fresh)<br />1 teaspoon ground coriander (fresh)<br />1/4 teaspoon ground allspice<br />2 garlic cloves, crushed<br />1lb 2oz red lentils<br />5-6 cups vegetable stock<br />1/3 cup plain yoghourt<br /><br />Heat the oil in a heavey pan. Cook th eonion over medium heat for 5 minutes, until soft. Stir in spices and garlic for 1 minute (don't burn the garlic!)<br />Add the lentils, stiring to coat well with the spices. Pour in the stock and stir well. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for 30 min.<br />Add a little more vegetable stock if you prefer a thinner soup and serve with a dollop of yoghourt on top.<br /><br />I have another one too if you want it.

ChrisMcLaughlin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where is Ladyfish on this one? She always has the recipes???

rwise

Captain

Originally posted by crab bait:<br />[QB]an can i use turkey bacon in loo..??..??<br />which i'm sbd allowed...QB]
I would not see why not, just add it a little sooner so it can cook!

Bored To Tears

Seaman Apprentice

south beach is glycemic index based (curiously, spaghtti ranks fairly low on the glycemic index, but its carb dense... tread lightly)<br /><br />carrots are a little high, but green peppers are freebies, try them instead ( a few carrots wont hurt, just dont go nuts)<br /><br />on a semi related note, turnips are a great potato alternative, mashed, diced into stew, or baked as oven fries<br /><br />I think Ill make a pot of lentil soup too, I like to throw barley into it and some black beans (soaked from dry, no canned crap)<br /><br />keep on it crabbie, its good stuff!