Soundproofing for Engine Cover?

krivnalyendi

Cadet
I'm in the process of building a new engine cover for my boat, and I'm wondering which wood would be best for soundproofing/marine use, and if there is anything else I can do to soundproof a new engine cover. Thanks to all who reply.. :)

imported_scott_m

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Soundproofing for Engine Cover?

Boat US/West Marine sells soundproofing insulation. Beware though it is spendy.

jmccall001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

check out jc whitney - used a foil wrapped fibreglass soundproofer on my rv - not only helped the sound but the heat off the doghouse

Fordmannn

Recruit

I bought the kit from overtons or WM and though pricey, i thought it was well worth it. Our new fourwinns (All fibergalss) had a lot more engine noise than our old Searay (lots of wood to absorbe the sound). The kit made a night and day difference. I think it cost $100 for the large kit and i covered both sides of the engine and the top. My $.02.

zeezer

Cadet

Go to Lowes or Home Depot & check out their insulation section. I believe that they sell a bubble wrap material covered in foil. This is an excellent insulator, cheap too! Insulation does 4 things. It absorbs sound or reflects it. Insulation also absorbs heat or reflects it. Air is one of the best insulators, which is why fiberglass works so well. I holds air & changes sound patterns to minimize their effect it's just itchy.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

They make spray cans of rubberized undercoating which is supposed to deaden sound. Not too expensive. Might be helpful in conjunction with some of the other suggestions. <br /><br />I don't know how well it would work as the topmost surface, as it stays flexible which might translate to tacky in heat. I'd also check out how much heat it can take. Probably ok as far as engine compartment in general, but they do recommend that you not use it directly on exhaust systems because of extreme heat. <br /><br />If you want more info on whether or not this might be helpful you can call one manufacturor (Mar-Hyde) at 800 421-2663.

dhoptay

Seaman

try lowes or home depot and check out their hotwater insulation wraps. it has foil faced insulation. only problem i see is that your engine compartment might get a little warmer