Sorry to raise an old topic " DECARB"

y not

Seaman Apprentice
Have spoken to a couple of local workshops and they say isnt neccasary and if your running ok dont mess with it. No localauto/marine suppliers seem to sell a cleaner apart from a fuel additive that you add to every tank. Is this something to do with fuel standards? I am in Australia not America :confused:

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Sorry to raise an old topic " DECARB"

In my own engines I use OMC carbon gaurd wich you mix with the fuel. You use an ounce to 7, 0r 8 gal. of fuel, so a little goes a long way. As a rule, I don't believe in snake oils but this stuff seems to work. I run it with every tank of fuel. As for the engine tuners you spray in the carb, some feel you can salvage an engine with stuck rings with it, I am very skeptical about this. I once soaked a piston with stuck rings over night to see what it would do. It did'nt do anything. This of course is not a true test, as it could well be different it a fully warmed up engine. This is my long way of saying "Beats Me"

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello.<br />Decarbing helps when you do a lot of trolling and it is a good idea to keep your engine clean in general.<br />If you cannot get any decarbing stuff in Australia, you can do it with water!!<br />I have never done this ,but certainly there must be some members who have done this and can explain exactly how to go about it.<br />Let us see if one of them will step forward.

gss036

Commander

Water in an outboard is a "very dangerous thing". I would not even consider it. I have used auto transmission oil in vehicle engines, which are 4 stroke, we would drip it through the carb. <br />Check with your local outboard shops, I would think that they would have carbon guard, Merc engine Power tune or something of that nature. Maybe an auto parts store for SeaFoam. Most of the stuff used to decarbon is just applied in a super strong mix and allowed to soak in long enough to soften up the carbon. I usually do my Merc 200 about once a year depending on the hours, sometimes every other year because I only idle out of the harbor and then run high RPM(4200-4300). If you just run high speed most of the time, you can probably get by 2-3 years before you get much build up, depending on the type of 2 stroke oil you use. I would not use anything not labeled TCW3. The new HDI oils are not made for the regulard 2 strokers.<br />Check out the outboard forums and you can find a lot of info from those in the know.

y not

Seaman Apprentice

have now spoken to a "Black Anchor" (Mercury)dealer who has suggested quicksilver power tune, but even he suggested should only be needed at 100 hr service

walleyehed

Admiral

y not,....prefer to call them "black stumps" myself.........<br />Every 100hrs. is very often for those of us that run 400-500hrs. a year. For the ave. person, 75hrs a year might be pushing it, but I think it should be done yearly anyway. Less to clean out each time...preventative maintenance so'ta speak... :)

Droll

Chief Petty Officer

Have bean wondering about the same question myself .<br />Have seen this advice often used here on this forum "decarb engine " , I have never done this on any of my engines ,an they are all running fine ( except one ,see sign ).<br />On the one that doesn't run ,I needed some rods ,and I got them ( used one ,from EBay )they were from the US .<br />When comparing these rods( there were also pistons on these )with mine ,there was an big difference in color .<br />On my old pistons there were some carbon on the top but all rings were loose and the rods were nice and clean , but on those US pistons most of the rings were stuck and the rods were "dirty" (they are still blacker than my org rods ,even after cleaning ) <br />I got 3 sets ( 12 ) of rods/pistons to compare , 1 from Norway and 2 from the US, bout US sets were equal ( dirty + carbon + stuck rings).<br /><br />Have been running my engines on 95 ,97 ,98 lead/unleaded/lowlead mixed with 2 stroke oil from the local gas station (mainly Shell and Statoil )no problems .

y not

Seaman Apprentice

My average year is only about 150 hours runningbut my inshore reefs are about 15 mins off shore to great fishing from the ramp :p <br />even then I tend to anchor or drift not troll.

gss036

Commander

With your type of running, I would think every 3rd year would be ok. The secret is using a good TCW3 oil. I don't want to go there as there are lots of disagreement there.