Son Moving to Seattle

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Got home from work and herself says Pat and his girl are leaving for Seattle Monday. Her father and mother lives there and got them jobs and they are leaving. First one of mine to move so far away. Feeling a little "hollow" inside right now. Think that describes it.<br /><br />I spent near a year outside Tacoma (sp) at McCord AFB. Nice state. Beautiful country. I mean that. <br /><br />Havn't talked to Pat yet. Well....guess they all gotta leave the fold sooner or later.<br /><br />Hope some of you guys from that area can give a little bracing up right now. Little info on the area would be nice. Don't know what kinda' work he will be doing yet. <br /><br />Think I'll have another Longneck.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Son Moving to Seattle

OBJ, as you must remember, it's beautiful when the sun shines which is unfortunately rarely. This year has been an exception, however. We had a lot of real nice sunny warm weather as early a April.<br /><br />Just make sure your son brings his John Kerry stickers. He'll be in JK territory for sure. I think it must be something that the lack of sunshine does to ones brain.<br /><br />I have two kids that are not far from leaving the nest. When I think about it, it makes me sad. Never was one that couldn't wait until the kids move out. But as you, when the time comes, we'll let them go with encouragement.

tylerin

Commander

OBJ I know I'd be feeling the same way you do. I can only imagine what you mean by hallow. Best of luck to Pat, his wife and your family

Link

Rear Admiral

Wow, thats quick.<br />Seattle the most Liberal city in the Pacific North West. <br />But a LOT of fun and a lot to do also. Wife and I make a Day of going up there several times a year (Saturday or Sunday) The Seattle Boat show will be coming up in January and thats always a lot of fun. SeaFair and the Hydros are a lot of fun. Even if you already know that the Miss Buds going to win! :D <br /><br />When were you at McChord? From my side road I take a right on Bridgeport and its exactly one mile to the freeway overpass and straight onto the airbase. Do it at least once a week.<br /><br />Post when you have a little more details.

PW2

Commander

Like all big cities, there are plusses and minuses with Seattle.<br /><br />The amount of rain is always exaggerated. Toronto gets as much rain as Seattle does, and I bet that many areas in the SE US get more rain annually (45 inches average in Seattle)<br /><br />The major problem with Seattle is traffic, and your son should keep that in mind when he decides where to live vs where he works. When I first moved to Seattle after college in the 70's, we found a place to live in Edmonds, Wa, and I worked in Tukwila. What a huge mistake! And it only has gotten worse. I go to Toronto all the time, and it is funny to hear them complain of traffic. They don't even know what a traffic jam is.<br /><br />If your son likes outdoor activities, there is no place better anywhere. Puget Sound, the San Juan Islands, and the Straits of Juan De Fuca are simply spectacular boating areas. And you can find lots of good salmon fishing if you figure out what you are doing, and talk to the right people. And playing on the limitless trails in and around the mountains, with little problem with bugs, is a huge plus.<br /><br />And you can play in the snow 12 mos a year if you want, but it is civilized in the sense that 12 months a year, you can play in the snow, but when you are tired of the snow, you take an hour drive home and get out of the snow.<br /><br />I don't know about the "liberal" label. It has Tim Eyeman, and he has screwed things up in Seattle more than a person can imagine a single conservative could possibly do. If conservatives are simply evil, Eyeman is Satan himself.<br /><br />Tell your son to thank Tim when he is caught in the parking lot they laughingly call Interstate 5.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hang in there Jim, its always sad when family members leave the nest. At least he is going to be near his new family. I'm sure his wifes parents will do their best to aid them in time of need. I know its frighting when they move so far away. Its his turn to see what other regions of the states is like.<br /><br />We will include prayers for a safe trip/move for Pat and his better half.<br /><br />Please send a letter to Taft letting him know another family has left Ohio for better jobs! (kidding) :D

OBJ,<br /><br />Obviously biased here but I think this is the best place on earth, but don't tell everyone. The rain is WAY over exagerated, of course, if you spent some time at McCord you already know that. Its a rumor we like to spread to keep Californians in California where they belong. :) <br /><br />We have everything here as far as the great outdoors go. We have fantastic salt water fishing, salmon, halibut and rock fish, crabbing, shrimping, etc. The protected waters of the Puget Sound alows salt water fun without ocean risk, enjoy the San Juan Islands. We also have great fresh water lake fishing for them Rainbows, Small and large mouth bass, etc. Then we also have the many rivers around here for the fly fisherman to hook into a nice rainbow or brook trout for an unforgetable fight. That's if you like the water and fishing.<br /><br />As far as topographical diversity the State of WA simply can't be beat. Your son can go to a sandy beach to play frisbee with the pooch, or a rocky beach to hunt down some oysters. We have the Cascades on our doorstep for the hiking, biking, camping, climbing folks. Those mountains also have decent hunting, albeit crowded but fun nonetheless. And then a bit further to the East we have the desert if you are hungry for some serious heat and sun. In the desert you'll find some of the best bird hunting around... not to mention the family farm of LundMinnow.<br /><br />As far as the Liberal / Conservative talk... who cares? Let people be people, the world would be damn boring if everyone agreed on everything. Eastern WA is conservative, Western WA is liberal... we're even diverse there!<br /><br />Let us know what kind of job your son landed. Our economy here is pretty strong, in the '90's we were awfully tech heavy and that caused a lot of unemployment after the boom went bust but things are better diversified now. Got a great BioTech industry starting up and we still manufacture them trusty 777,747,737...<br /><br />You can tell your son "Welcome" from LundMinnow. They'll be a beer for him at the Redhook brewery.

KaGee

Admiral

They have a way of bouncing back OBJ... just after you get used to them being gone. The only problem... they bring more stuff than when they left. For a while my basement was like a "You Store It" place.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

OK you folks in the great state of Washington.....#2 Son will be boarding in the Redmond area. Saw a picture of their apartment....nice. Had a parte' last night at the local beer parlor. Didn't get home till around 4.....gotta have breakfast ya' know. Went to the shop this morning (that was a trip) and helped the boy pack the Uhaul this evening.<br /><br />Got another going away thing tomorrow at the Fire House....he's a certifide firefighter to....trying to keep a happy face....but I kinda envy him. I've been to Washington state and I think he'll like it there. He's just got to give it a chance.<br /><br />Well...anybody got any info on the Redmond area, be happy to listen. <br /><br />Jim

dhud64

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by OBJ:<br /> ...I spent near a year outside Tacoma (sp) at McCord AFB. Nice state. Beautiful country. I mean that. <br /><br />
I lived in the apartments right outside the Airbase gates back in 84-85. Awesome place.<br />*cracks a longneck too*

PW2

Commander

Redmond,Wa---home of Microsoft!<br /><br />It's a nice community just east of Seattle--on the edge of Lake Wasington--as all the communities are on the east side.<br /><br />Make sure he checks out Marymoor park.<br /><br />Tell us what kind of activities he likes, snd I am sure we can point him in the right direction

LadyFish

Admiral

OBJ, enjoy this evening with your family. Good-bye's are never easy. My best to all of you.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Well......dhud....I lived in the "Castle" on base. Met some really nice folks that lived there in Tacoma through the girl I met at the USO. All tremendously nice people.<br /><br />PW....Pat is sorta like me.....likes to fish a lot and when he aint' doin' nothin', he likes to fish some more...... :) He'll be doing computer work along with his other half. 8hrs a day five or six days a week as needed. Marymoor Park....got it...I'll make sure they know the name.<br /><br />No LadyFish.....it's not easy. But I have to think of those folks that may be saying goodby to their son or daughter that may be going into harms way....and I do feel better. It don't make the "see-ya'-soon" easier....but I know he'll be safe.<br /><br />Thanks to you all for your posts'....makes a body feel good.<br /><br />OH! If ya' hear anything about a rukus at a VFD in OHIO.......it's a lie. Don't believe any of it......"trust me". :D :D

OBJ,<br /><br />My wife works in Redmond, not just the home of Microsoft, but it's also known for its bicycles, more per capita than any other city in the country... I believe, at least that is their claim. The Burke-Gilman trail goes right through town, a very cool trail, at some points along the trail you can see Mt. Rainier to the South and Mt. Baker to the North at the same time.<br /> http://www.metrokc.gov/parks/trails/trails/burke.htm <br /><br />Its a great town. To the south, Lake Sammamish, great wake boarding home of Hyperlite wakeboards. To the west is Lake Washington / Kirkland. Just north of Redmond is the Redhook brewery. The town itself actually has a small town feel to it all the big business, Microsoft, Safeco, Nintendo, etc are all on the outskirts of town.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Thanks a ton for the info minnow.....the kids left this afternoon but soon as they get set up, I'll get this info to them.<br /><br />Thanks again.