Sometimes this dog amazes me

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
He's just a big yella hound dog named Dusty (full name = Dusty Crockett King of the Wild Frontier). I just had to share this trick he showed us on our family camping trip this weekend:<br /><br />One morning after breakfast we were all just sitting around the fire. We had a few small branches the kids had gathered, and I was breaking them up into kindling for the evening campfire. It was all just dry, dead wood that snapped easily in your fingers. <br /><br />Now, Dusty isn't really into playing fetch, in fact I don't recall ever seeing him pick up a stick before. But he picked up a forked branch, about as big around as my thumb, and pressed the other fork against the ground until it snapped, walked over, sat down, and waited for me to take it from him.<br /><br />I never saw anything like that before.<br /><br />here he is trying to sniff out some fish...<br /><br />
5736001-R2-017-7.jpg

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: Sometimes this dog amazes me

But did he find water before he snapped that forked branch? :p <br /><br />Your dog looks so much like mine that its scarey, especially the pic of him in the boat, their profile is identical. Mine is very red with reddish brown eyes and at one time weighed 95 pounds. <br /><br />I never knew the breed, just mutt to me, but he's been a really smart and wonderful pet for over 13 years now and loves the kids.

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

He's just trying to get you to hurry up. <br />He could smell the fish and knew if you spent all morning breaking sticks he'd never get you out on the water.

eeboater

Commander

Hey jtexas... I gave up on trying not to be surprised by what my pets will do. I was walking back from my mailbox last summer and I noticed a large stick (basically a branch) that had fallen from the tree. It was about 6 feet long and 2 inches in diameter. I picked it up and started to bring it to my stick pile in my backyard. But the instant my dog (130 lb St. Bernard) saw I was walking with it, he insisted he had to carry it. After a while I gave up and gave it to him. He happily carried it to the backyard and ran in circles with it in his mouth until he was exhausted!<br /><br />It was hilarius.<br /><br />Ahhh animals...they're such a stress reliever. Here's a pic of him enjoying his "stick" after he busted off all the smaller branches attached to it.<br /><br />
1414902-IMG_2479.jpg
<br /><br />Sean

NYMINUTE

Captain

My Lab and Great Dane exploits are well documented. Nothing suprises me where they are concerned. Dogs are gifted, and a pleasure....after the shock settles.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Our Yellow Lab, Bear (full name Not Your Average Polar Bear) likes to poop up on top of things. I swear if I had a year I could teach him to use a toilet. Anyway, I have watched him go up to the end of our street and poop on top of a hedge at a neighbor's house. We're friendly with this neighbor, but she hates the woman next door. So she's telling me more about why she can't stand this other lady and says "ya know, this is getting so bad that she is taking here dog's poop and putting it on my hedge with a shovel". I just couldn't bring myself to tell her. Let the two Mrs. Cravitzes figure it out . . . :D :D :D <br /> He's the knucklehead on the left.<br />
4v1xs4

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just put this in the 'what's your dogs name post', but seems more appropriate here.<br /><br />Got two Border Collies, Sasha & Jack.<br /><br />Sasha has demonstrated to me that dogs can reason. Both love to play fetch. But if Jack has a different toy (or treat) that Sasha wants, she'll go get a ball and drop it in my lap until I throw it. Jack instinctively jumps up to chase it and Sasha immediately pounces on whatever Jack left behind that she wanted in the first place, lol. Also adds fuel to the theory that females are more cunning and devious than males :) .