sometimes does,sometimes don't

danny k

Seaman Apprentice
At times, for no rhyme or reason, my 1994 150 Johnson will not shift from neutral to reverse. All that happens is the motor will rev up but no actual engagement of the reverse gears. There are no visible signs of defective cables. The "part" the cable connects to does move but I'm not sure if that is the only part on the outside of the engine that is designed to move when shifting. Am I missing something obvious? Is it more likely to be in the control box or more likely on a part inside the lower unit, like the shift linkage, or in the foot?<br /><br />The boat is in a wet slip so I'm trying to troubleshoot as much as possible before loading this 28' rig on its trailer.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Danny K.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: sometimes does,sometimes don't

Start with a Service Manual, Danny.<br /><br />It will explain, and show you, how to adjust the shifting linkage.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

marineseas

Cadet
Re: sometimes does,sometimes don't

I had a similar problem and used the manual and readjusted a new cable and after several tries I had to do a tear down and found I had a bad clutch dawg and gear and pinion were worn. About 800.00 later all was well. Maybe you will be lucky and readjust linkage. I almost had it but it came and went because of wear on gears.