Something's wrong here

fishmaycraft

Cadet
So Saturday morning I'm at the Roanoke River planning on going after the Rockfish on there spawning run and I jump in the boat to back her off the trailer. It fires right up and all seems well, put her in reverse, nothing, giver her some gas, nothing. I hollar for my buddy to get out of the truck and make sure he disconnected everything up front and he says yep! No problem, get back in the truck and back up and stop to throw me off. He does and I don't budge. After scratching my head for a little while and listening to an old man on the bank tell me "You just need to give her more gas!" It dawns on me, of course I forgot to take the transom straps off. Very cooly I ease to the back and reach all the way down in the water and release them, of course then when I hit reverse she slides off perfectly only to hear the old man say, "I told you, just needed more gas!" When my buddy pulls the trailer out, it had floated over to the right,(with the boat) and it smacks off a pole between the two ramps. <br />15 min later as we're heading up-river, I hit a log floating just under the surface and knock my depthfinder out, luckily no other damage, I was going very slow for all the debris in the water.<br />We caught 6 rockfish, but all in all, would have been better for my stress level to just sleep in that day!!<br />Sorry, just had to vent

crab bait

Captain
Re: Something's wrong here

GEE,, it's hard to have fun like that..<br /><br />least you got back home safe an didn't get skunked..<br /><br />that's what happends at the beginnin'of a new season .. your rusty an the water is treacherous..

OKCSOONERS

Cadet

Hey Fishmaycraft,<br />I was looking at an earlier converstion you were having about a trasom saver you installed from Cabela's. I also don't have a roller to hook a normal transom saver on. Has the Cabela transom saver worked for you. I am getting ready to install one on my boat. Would you recommed the Cabela Transom saver? Your input would be appreciated.<br /><br />Okcsooners

OKCSOONERS

Cadet

I did the same thing, but it was Memorial Weekend at a very busy lake in Oklahoma. I tried for 10 minutes and just thought it was hung up on somthing. I was giving it gas and even tried to lift the boat off the trailer. The guy that was lined up behind me came down and seemed a little scared to talk to me because I was starting to get mad. He said very softly, because i don't think he wanted to make me mad, did you take your transom straps off and I thought to myself no I didn't. I was so embarrased because there must have been 10 people lined up waiting to put their boat in the water. The rest of the day went pretty smooth.

fishmaycraft

Cadet

Yep, the cabelas transom saver works great! It was very easy to install and does its job well. I would definitely recommend it.<br /><br />My second day on the water this year went little better than the first, forgot to put the plug in!!! Pulled away from the ramp and started heading out to the ocean, happened to look down and see the plug rolling around on the boat floor. Luckily I was able to kill the engine and raise the outboard and stick my whole arm in the water to put it in. All I can say is thank god for bilge pumps!!!!!<br />Here's hoping the rest of my boating season gets better!<br />Tight lines,<br />fishmaycraft

OKCSOONERS

Cadet

Thank you for the reply. I think the rest of the boating year will go much smoother. Just think, maybe all of your bad luck has happened and the rest of the year will go smooth.