Something weird under the dash 89 Capri

mrdibs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a little black plastic round thing bolted under the dash. Looks like maybe a little buzzer or something. Traced one of the two wires to the gas guage. It's disconnected, so I'm curious if I should reconnect it. If it's just an idiot buzzer for low fuel I could care less. My manual doesn't cover this kinda stuff.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
Re: Something weird under the dash 89 Capri

Overtemp warning buzzer ?

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

You do want to have your overheat buzzer working. Its there to warn you if your motor
Is overheating and can save you from more expensive engine problems in the future. It is possible it is for low fuel but I would agree with the others. Overheat warning buzzer.

TSL812

Cadet

Could also be for if you leave the key on too long without the motor running. It may just be getting power from the gauge circuit and not actually have anything to do with the gauge.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Don't just start plugging wires into things until you understand what it is. Connecting to the fuel gauge can cause the gauge to register incorrectly if connected to the "S" terminal. If this boat has an Outboard engine, it is very likely the overheat/oil warning buzzer. That is something you want fixed. The buzzer would be discussed in the owners manual for the engine.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Should go from any purple wire(power when the key is on) to the orange lead from the motor.
When the motor overheats the sensor grounds out completing the circut.
The 89Forces/Capri Didn't have a sensor for low fuel or a sensor for being on too long unless it was added later.Nor an oil alarm.
Someone might have unhooked it not knowing it's for an overheat situation.

mrdibs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I guess I'll connect the wire and see what it does. I was under the impression that the overheat alarm was in the engine compartment. I found a similar part online called a "panel buzzer" but nothing to tell me for what. It's not for oil (2-stroke), so it's either low fuel or overheat. Why it's wired to the gas guage is odd - the fuse block is right there next to the buzzer.
It appears to have been disconnected on purpose. I found an invoice for a head gasket repair in the glove box when I bought it, so maybe someone disconnected the buzzer early on and paid the penalty.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If it's hooked to the gas guage,what wire was it connected to/ Probably a hot lead.The fuel guage is hooked up to the key so when the key's on so is the buzzer.
All's it needs is a hot and the orange lead to make it work.

mrdibs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That makes sense Jerry. After the hurricane I'll hook it back up and take it out - see if it goes off. I know where the heat sensor is on the motor, so if the buzzer goes off I guess the next step is to test that sensor. I've been paranoid about overheating since I got the thing because this setup is known for poor cooling.