Something broke down below?

lovethelakes

Cadet
My Motor is a 1972 Mercury 650 Thunderbolt. This sucks! I sold my boat the other day to some young couple and I sold it as is. Well the boat was running fine when I sold it. Then I get a call today from the guy he's yelling threats at me and what not and saying he wanted his money back. So to save me from hassling with this guy I gave him his money back. Now I am stuck with a broken boat. <br /><br /> At first I thought they siezed the motor but after turning the motor with a wrench I am hearing the noise in the lower end of the motor. I think they jammed it into gear and broke something. This was my first boat I only had it a couple of weeks so I don't know anything. Can someone tell me what they think is broken. A new motor is gonna cost me $500 bucks I don't have

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Something broke down below?

Why the hell would you buy it back? Anybody with half a brain knows used vehicles are as is, no refunds, no warranty. You're going to have to be alot more descriptive about the problem before anybody can diagnose it.

KIGuy52

Petty Officer 1st Class

I sold a lawnmower to a Navy Seal once and it blew up. I gave him his money back too. It was cheaper in the long run than a broken neck.

lovethelakes

Cadet

there are 4 kids that live with me and I am not going to risk having rocks thrown through my windows at night, he was a punk. The worst part was I had just hitched up the boat I was buying when he called me. So that will have to wait. Back to the topic. The motor will not start anymore because something in the lower end is keeping it from turning over, when i turn themotor by hand it doesn.t spin freely. Instead it jams up and makes a terrible noise in thelower part of the motor

lovethelakes

Cadet

Would something like a broken impellor cause this, just wishful thinking. I should also mention that when I can get the motor to turn, by hand that is, that the prop is turning. I think that the punk kid didn"t give the motor time to warm up and so when he put it into gear it would stall, so he probably revved it and jammed it into gear. I had the boat on thelake last monday it ran fine.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Might be a good idea to remove the lower end completely, and then try to isolate where the problem lies.<br /><br />Spin flywheel by hand.<br /><br />Turn driveshaft in lower unit by hand.<br /><br />Have you drained the oil in the lower unit gearbox to evaluate its condition? Look for water and metallic particles.

lovethelakes

Cadet

Is this difficult to do. I mean to remove the lower end. I am mechanically inclined but have never worked on a boat motor, people make it sound like if you do something wrong the whole thing is going to fall into a million pieces.

KIGuy52

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's a pretty easy job if you're mechanical, only 2 or 3 bolts. Nothing will fall out. Be careful re-installing it, making sure the water tube goes into the hole on the top of the water pump. This gives some useful info about your motor:<br /> http://www.oldmercs.com/197273Merc650.htm

lovethelakes

Cadet

I removed the nuts and the lower end has dropped about half an inch now something above the skeg is keeping it from dropping. Anyone know what it might be.

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

There are 4 nuts. One on each side in the front, one in the middle on the bottom, and one under the trim tab (Zinc). You need to first remove the trim tab by loosening the bolt from above. Once the tab is off there's a nut visible.<br />Eric

beau123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a shaft bearing go out on my 40 hp johnson<br />and it acted similar to your problem. Bearing was $10 versus $320+ for a complete set of gears. I have to agree with ZmOz, you sold the motor as is. If you buy a car as is and it blows up 20 minutes after the purchase you probably wouldn't get your money back. The punk kid was probably abusing the motor but you never know. When you get it up and running again, if you sell it, stick to "as is."

lovethelakes

Cadet

I know this but I don't like to have police at my house for any reasons. Anyway I got the lower end off and the motor now turns freely. Now that it is off the prop whenturned one direction it clicks and it doesn't want to turn the other direction. What do I do next?

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

Time for the question: rebuild or replace. Drain the oil into a container and use a magnet to look for metallic pieces.