Some1 Educate Me

Ralphy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Heading back to the Marina early afternoon. We got out early as is our custom so we can be done and leave the afternoon water for the wilder ones. We see a 16 foot ski boat out in the middle of the lake with smoke pouring out of the engine compartment (i/o). I change course to go see if they need help. 2 girls and 2 guys huddled at the bow of the boat and 1 guy at the stern emptying his extinguisher into the engine compartment(. Smoke is getting thicker and has the obvious smell of electrical. I holler at the guy do you have the fire under control?? He hollers back, I cant see where it is and my extinguisher is empty!! I quickly pulled up along side and hollered at them to get onboard. (I have a 20 ft. Pontoon with just me and the wife onboard). They quickly get onboard and I tool us a good 100 yards away. My thinking is being on a burning boat with a full tank of gas is not a good idea.<br /><br /> The poor owner was beside himself wanting to do something to save his boat. He told me someone had stolen his stereo and he guessed one of the bare wires must of grounded!! Hmmmm. DUH!! I said lets wait and see what happens. Took about 10 minutes and I guess all the wiring burnt up without anything turning to flame. Smoke dwindled to nothing and we went back to his boat. I had him immediately disconnect the battery. Wiring was all burnt up but no fires anywhere, so I towed him back to the ramp. Of course he wanted to pay me for the help but I told him that yes he owed me, but the only way he could pay me back was to help the next fellow. <br /><br /> I felt bad for the poor guy, but other than him having taped off any bare wires from the stereo theft, once the smoke started was there anything he, or any of us were we in a similiar situation, could have done to minimize the damage???

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Some1 Educate Me

Not for me. You did right.<br />I don't want to be onboard one that has that much smoke coming out of it and not know where it's coming from.<br /><br />You can get it fixed or buy another boat, you can't replace that is lost or burnt, human wise.

Link

Rear Admiral

I'm with Spinner<br />Just the act of pulling up to a burning boat to get the people off is a amazing thing for someone to do. Hats off to ya

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

You did exactly the right thing in my book. The safety of people always takes priority over something that money can replace.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

23_28_112.gif
<br /><br />You did the right thing, Ralphy! Good job and THANKS!<br /><br />
23_28_107.gif

Rickfifty

Seaman

I think Ralphy is asking what he/we could do if we find ourselves in that situation with our own boats having an electrical meltdown. Personally I have a battery cut-off switch that I could shut off. I think that would limit the damage. If you don't have that, I'm not sure if even an electrical rated extinguisher would keep the wires from melting.

Rickfifty

Seaman

I think Ralphy is asking what he/we could do if we find ourselves in that situation with our own boats having an electrical meltdown. Personally I have a battery cut-off switch that I could shut off. I think that would limit the damage. If you don't have that, I'm not sure if even an electrical rated extinguisher would keep the wires from melting.

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rick, it wouldn't keep them from melting as long as there is current comming from the battery, the only wat to stop it would have been to disconnect the battery, and that was likely to be pretty warm by that time so, I'm not sure it was really an option anyway.<br /><br />You did a GREAT job Ralphy.<br /><br />Rick. I grew up in Fremont, CA. 4918 Folsum Way. Glad to see someone from home on here.<br /><br />Craig

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Ralph, not only did you do the right thing, but you did the heroic thing. As others have stated, even if you had just brought 4 people back to the dock, and the boat burned to the water, you did the right thing. If it would have been my smoking boat, just the fact that you had something to tow back (that can be fixed) would have just been added lanyap. <br /><br />In case of the Radio equipment being stolen, or any loose or exposed wires should be taped or shrink wrapped. <br /><br />Dang thieves, it aught to be legal to shoo,,,,,ok calm down Beast. <br /><br />OOOOMMMMMM, OOOOOOMMMMMMM, OOOOOOMMMMM. :D

FLATHEAD

Captain

For a second there I thought Ralph was back. Bummer, wonder how he is doing. <br /><br /><br />Anyway Ralphy you done good. A lot of folks would have just motored right on past.

Rickfifty

Seaman

Hey Craig(Mercury 140-I6), I grew up in Fremont also. Been here nearly my whole life. 40 years. You must have been over by Pardee? I'll get out of here someday, one way or another. Gettin' a little crowded.

brother chris

Commander

Great job Ralphy. We need more boaters like you out on the waters. Not every person would do that. <br />YOU DA MAN RALPHY!!!!!!!!

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rickfifty:<br /><br />I was between Mowry (Spelling?) and Stevenson, off of Blacow. We backed up to the Hetch Hetchy Field.<br /><br />I got out in June 1995 (After being stuck there for 31 years) when they were closing Naval Air Station Alameda. I was a civilian employee at the time and they transfered me up here to the Seattle area. Awesome place if you like to ski, fish, or just cruise around with a boat.<br /><br />My parents bought our house in 1963 and sold it in 1998 or 1999, at the hight of the housing market and got 475,000 for it. Moved to Redding (Yuck!!) and built a house 1.5 times bigger, 3 times the land, a pool and came out 100,000 ahead.<br /><br />Hope you get to go somewhere that you like, like I was able to.<br /><br />Craig<br /><br />P.S. My E-Mail is skier1@p2kisp.com<br /><br />
watermark.php

Ralphy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all the accolades but I am sure any of you Iboaters would have done the same. After thinking about it over the weekend Im wondering if maybe had he hit the battery area with the extinguisher and then grabbed some wire snips and cut the battery cable would it have saved some of the wiring. As it is now, pretty sure he is going to have to have whole boat rewired. Oh well, live and learn and easy to come up with ideas with lots of time to think. Stay safe all.

briannh1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where was the FUZE. This is why you should have a fuze. Instead of burning the wire in half you burn the fuze in half. Burning a fuze takes less watt's and therefore less heat...<br /><br />You did the heroic thing there Ralphy. Keep up the good work.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Rickfifty got it right, MUST have a battery switch. I once was almost in that same position, on the water with burning wires. Burned my fingers a bit getting the battery disconnected. (Family & I was OK and so was the boat after rewiring the outboard) Now I have a cut-off switch. Hope all my fellow Iboaters have one or will get one immediately! Cut off switch isn't very expensive, sure is cheaper than medical bills and destroyed boat!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

This is why when I rewired my boat I have a cutoff switch less than a foot from the battery, and that switch is right there within arms reach. From that switch the juice goes to a circuit breaker panel, then to all the lights, gauges, etc. The fire extinguisher is next to the cutoff switch. Just can't be too safe.<br /><br />That was some good heroism, I would have done the same thing.