Some people really take the cake....

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I bought a used bimini top the other day and picked it up today. The guy with the top was not far away from where I work, about 15 minute drive for him to my office. The bimini top is a big one, about 88" wide, 46" tall and 72" long. He told me he could not fit it inside his Dodge Durango and he had to strap it on the roof. He wanted me to pick it up yesterday, but I told him I can't tie that to my cars roof, I need my wife's Mountaineer. I asked him then why he doesn't take the poles apart and I'll fit it in my car. He tells me that the bows are one piece, they don't come apart. So we agree to make plans that evening to arrange the pickup. That evening again I asked him (this time in writing) to double check the top for seams and screws because I have NEVER seen a bimini top that big with one piece bows. He writes back that the top is all one piece bows, no seams or screws to take it apart. So I take my wife's Mountaineer to work with the intention of picking up the top after work. He emails me in the morning saying that he will be busy this evening and lets do it next week. I see from his mail that he is up at 4:00am, and I am reading it at 7:00am, so I call him. He answers and says he has to go to work in an hour or so. Then he wants to work on his boat, and spend the whole weekend down the shore on his boat, rain or shine. So I press him, and we decide to meet right then. I leave work, drive about 10 minutes and meet him half way. He unloads the top off his Durango and we fit it inside my Mountaineer. I go back to work then drive an hour home later with the legs of the top on my lap.<br /><br />Now the kicker: When I get home and open the top, guess what is the first thing I see? The seams and screws that held the bows together. It took me all of 5 minutes to unscrew all the sections of poles and fold up the top. <br /><br />So this guy used the top for a season or more, and every time he put it up or down he looked right at the seams and screws. And he had no problem lying right to me on the phone, and lying in writing and then lying again on the phone about this being one piece and it can't come apart. And, he knew that as soon as I opened the top, I too would see that the poles are put together in pieces and come apart. So what gives? This guy feels comfortable lying, knowing that you know he is lying? What gives with people like that?<br /><br />This guy was more interested in spending the weekend on his boat than driving 10 or 15 minutes to deliver me the top. He was NOT interested in taking 10 minutes of his precious time to disassemble the top so it would fit in my car and save me and my wife the hassle of switching cars and all the baby support crap that goes with it. He had my money, he had my top, and he just didn't give a damn how inconvenienced I or my wife were. <br /><br />People today are turning into real little sh*ts. It's all about them. Nobody else matters. They will out and out lie to get what they want and don't care.<br /><br />He also lied about the condition of the top; I asked if there was ANY corrosion or pitting on the aluminum, he said no "...they are so perfect they might be stainless..." he says. I know he is either full of it or just stupid. There is a little pitting near the bottom of the poles that I will end up cutting off anyway.<br /><br />This guy is exactly what is wrong with America today.

Sea Six

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Some people really take the cake....

I wonder if the guy was just too dumb to know it came apart?

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry about your trouble Mark - on the other hand, I've seen the pictures of the things you build and you'll make it into something really nice.<br /><br />What goes around, comes around.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

That was my thought, ignorance is a way of lif efor many these days. Personally I think "Stupid should hurt."<br /><br />As for the rest of Mark's post about th eself-centeredness of todays society, RIGHT ON!!!!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

And this is another reason why I avoid buying things from e-bay auctions. I know how good something can look in pictures and look like somthing the cat dragged in in person. The adage "buyer be ware" should be the e-bay motto.<br /><br />I expected that the top I bought would show wear and look it's age. So no matter how perfect the seller said it was. I justified the price to the cost of me getting new aluminum poles and making my own frame. You can't touch a frame for $75. I did a Microsoft Project plan for the top project weeks ago to find my real cost if I built from scratch. My cost was over $200. So this fit the bill.<br /><br />I got what I expected with the product. I was a bit disappointed with the 'performance' of the seller.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well I made a bimini top for my boat last year and my bows are one piece and the top is 8 ft wide.<br /><br />Sorry to hear about the problems. Some people just live at a differant set of standards than most of us.<br /><br />Bob

dogsdad

Lieutenant

I think some people are just total a-holes. This is evident in supermarket aisles, on the roads, and in dealing with people in business.<br /><br />Thank God there are the other folks too...the ones who are considerate, deliver as promised, and give a damn about your satisfaction.<br /><br />Too many of the former, and not enough of the latter.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

NYMINUTE

Captain

Trust and honor are no longer valid in this great country

KaGee

Admiral

Negative Ebay feedback time!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I would think stupidity was to blame.<br /><br />The other day I was looking for something. I told everyone else that it was in a square glass bottle. I would have sworn it was in that bottle.<br /><br />When I found it it was in a round brown bottle. Then I rememberd switching bottles.<br /><br />Just plain stupid, I hate it when I do that.<br /><br />Ken

chuckz

Chief Petty Officer

Chalk it up to ignorance. It would have been easier on the seller to disassemble the top to take it off the boat and transport it.<br /><br />You looked at it and if I looked at it we would instantly know that it came apart. It's taken me a long time to learn that this is a talent. Not everyone can understand a mechanical assembly at a glance.<br /><br />Meanwhile, you got a fair deal. I'd wouldn't let it ruin my day that the guy was ignorant. Time to enjoy the new project.

ndemge

Commander

In my book, this wouldn't be a negative on ebay from what I've read. Some people are stupid and oblivious.. and your right, stupid SHOULD hurt.<br /><br />If the actuall item you got was exactly as described, and he didn't try to mislead you or over charge you on shipping, I would still get a Positive feedback, but maybe mention.."Product as described, horrible customer service" Maybe a neutral.<br /><br />If this guy was actually an actuall a-hole about it all, acting like a swindler, neg time... but before you leave a negative, always read what your people say about OTHER people.... some people are real quick to retaliate with a negative to be just that, retalitory.<br /><br />I just left a negative the other day on ebay for a non-paying bidder, no pay even after emails, going through ebay chanels, and even a Phone call!, and for the next 60 days I'm going to be worried about getting a neg.

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class

I sometimes wonder how some people manage to tie their shoes..<br />But I have learned there are many different types of intellegence and skill, some are mechanical, some are not maybe he is a "not"