Some guidance on choosing a boat!? Help?!

Geardaddy

Cadet
Hello,

In the market for a boat for the Chesapeake Bay and surrounding rivers.. Mostly for cruising/tubing/skiing/light fishing/crabbing.. Looking at 22-24 footers and have some questions regarding the brands of boats that we are finding in the price range.. We have looked at 24 Foot Stingrays, Regals, Sea Rays, Larsons, and a 24 foot yamaha jet boat.. How do these brands compare? The SeaRay 2400 Sundeck is really nice.. what are the major differences between a "deck boat" and a traditional type bowrider? Also looking at 2-3-4 year old "very lightly used" boats.. Is this a wise idea? Seems like we can afford a nicer quality boat that is almost new, or a lesser quality, smaller brand new boat.. I'd just as well let someone else take the initial depreciation hit.. Is there anything to stay clear of when buying a used model? Anyway, thanks for whatever info you folks can provide for us boating newbies.. (Actually the boat is for my father who grew up on boats, so he's not a complete newbie...)

Thanks again,

John..

woodee148

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Some guidance on choosing a boat!? Help?!

good luck in your search, I just completed mine recently and there is a lot to think about. Your looking at a slightly larger boat than I bought but here is my input.
The deck boat has a lot more room ie 21' bowrider holds 8 a 21' deck boat holds 12. You should go with engine upgrade with the deck boat. I have three kids so the extra room was very important to me. You give up some of the sporty look with the deck boat but not a lot. The deck boat comes with a swim platform at the front. Really, for the most part the deck boat is just wider in the bow kinda squared off instead of pointed. I am sure you will get lots info from everyone on this site. I am very new here so I don't know too much...but learning!!

Woody

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.

A 30 year old boat motor combo, may be in better condition, than a 3 year old

i have a 23 ft 1999 Chris Craft 230 Deckboat, when in the Keys we venture out 7 to 10 miles to the reefs for diving. it has the 5.7 volvo outdrive. great family boat, fish, ski, wakeboard, diving, or just a large family cruise. rated for 13 people. if you have kids, remember it is more fun when the bring a friend.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

I have a fair amount of experience on the Chesapeake Bay's northern reaches and if you can give me an idea of where you expect to use the boat I can maybe help steer you in the right direction.
--
Stan

Tuck56

Recruit

What part of the bay and what rivers are you planning to boat in. I have a Chaparral 234/236 deck boat and is a great river boat but I watch the wind when wanting to venture into the bay. The deck boat gives you plenty of room to do everything.

Geardaddy

Cadet

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.

A 30 year old boat motor combo, may be in better condition, than a 3 year old

i have a 23 ft 1999 Chris Craft 230 Deckboat, when in the Keys we venture out 7 to 10 miles to the reefs for diving. it has the 5.7 volvo outdrive. great family boat, fish, ski, wakeboard, diving, or just a large family cruise. rated for 13 people. if you have kids, remember it is more fun when the bring a friend.

Ok.. wow, you guys are fast.. I'll answer these questions...

1. Mostly cruising and watersports (tubing) some fishing.. Like the boats with a swim deck on the back..

2. We would want to put 4-6 adults, and 4 or 5 kids at the most.. Typical mission would be 2-3 adults, and 2-4 kids..

3. Inboard/Outboard as this seems the most applicable to the boats that we have looked at..

4. Budget = Approx 30,000.00 US..

Thanks fellas..

Geardaddy

Cadet

I have a fair amount of experience on the Chesapeake Bay's northern reaches and if you can give me an idea of where you expect to use the boat I can maybe help steer you in the right direction.
--
Stan

Stan,

We live over in Ellicott City and I think that the Magothy or Severn rivers would be closest to us as far as getting to a marina.. Most likley would use a boat motel type arrangement...

Thank You!

What part of the bay and what rivers are you planning to boat in. I have a Chaparral 234/236 deck boat and is a great river boat but I watch the wind when wanting to venture into the bay. The deck boat gives you plenty of room to do everything.

Tuck,

Ok, are deck boats more prone to being "upset" by the wind than a traditional bowrider? We would be spending most of our time in the Magothy, Severn, south rivers.. But we do want the capability to go over the Kent Narrows to eat crabs, or get into the harbor for Fireworks.. that type of stuff.

Thanks again for the quick replies..

John..

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you can find a nice deckboat for that amount, also look at they new Bayliner 205, and 225. they are bow riders. one advantage of the deckboats is most have a portapotty and fresh water sink & stern shower on the swim platform.

deck boat you want the 5.7 liter atleast.

either boat, get the bow cover, this allows you to get in rougher water, and not take water over the bow.

Tuck56

Recruit

Are you in Maryland or Va. as I know a dealer in the Richmond area that has a nice 2 year old 24 ft deck boat.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Lots of fun looking for a "new" to you boat, and lots of ????? The best advice you've already been given - start with the uses and # of passengers type stuff. Sounds like a 24' deck would suit you well, maybe bowriders also. Some deck boats are more like bowriders with a squarer bow, some have a very different design right down to the hull. I'd say stick with the bowrider-style hull and open bow type deck boat for your uses. that gives a better ride in the chop.

A 3-5 year old boat can be very close to new condition so my opinion is to always get more boat for the price by buying "slightly used". Just make sure the engine checks out as perfect! Those brands you mentioned have different pluses and minuses. Engines aren't to different, either Volvo/penta or mercruiser for the most part in I/O. Get enough engine power!

The Stingray may be a bit lighter and faster but maybe not be as solid in the chop. The deeper "V" boat normally cuts the chop better but also takes more power for the same performance as a lighter, more shallow hull. SeaRay and regal ares considered upper middle level I'd say with larson just behind them. however, if a used boat you'll see first hand how well it's holding up! Check the fabric/vinyl closely for any stitching coming apart, etc. Check the door/hatches/etc. for tight fittings. That will tell you how well made and durable the boat is!

Test drive a few to get a feel for handling, etc. Remember, for ride quality it's not usually "better or worse", just what YOU prefer. Some like a faster, more sporty ride, some 9wives especially) prefer a more stable "safe feeling" ride. heck, my some in my family prefer totally different rides (young boys want fast, wild, choppy but wife wants STABLE, comfortable) ....guess who wins THAT battle !?!?!? Kids have fun either way, wives make boating miserable if they are nervous the whole time. Buy wisely with THAT in mind!

Now, the Yamaha 23' jet (I don't think they make a 24', just 21' and 23') is of course totally different as it has twin jet drives. It IS a very nice bowrider set up though. The issue would be how it handles chop as you can not adjust the trim as you can in an I/O or outboard. Now, many still think that jetboats are just oversized jetskis made for a wild ride - not so with the new bread of bowrider jets from Yamaha and Seadoo. I guarantee your kids would love the Yamaha Jet boat! I can't make the same guarantee for your wife or friends.

Lots of good choices for you! have fun.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Stan,

We live over in Ellicott City and I think that the Magothy or Severn rivers would be closest to us as far as getting to a marina.. Most likley would use a boat motel type arrangement.

You are a little farther south than my experience would be a help with, probably. Sorry for my lack of help. I will say that if you plan on staying back in the rivers and creeks, they get shallow very quickly and you may be better off with an outboard and you'll also have less of a worry about handling rough water, so a deckboat would be a very good choice. However, if you plan on venturing out into the main body of the Bay very often, you are going to want something with a little more aggressive hull than a deckboat may offer. Or be prepared to take a pounding. It can get very rough out there in a short time.
--
Stan

mattttt25

Commander

I keep my boat on the Magothy, so know the area well. I love deck boats for their size and function, and you'll really enjoy your times in the Severn and Magothy. But I really need to warn you that any type of deck boat or cruiser in that size- basically anything other than a fish boat- you'll want to pick your days. My buddy had a 23' deck boat, brand new stingray, and we got crushed on a moderate day on the bay. Don't mean to discourage you- plenty of smaller boats on the Bay. Just be aware that the Bay can really throw a 23' boat around and with the wider, flatter bottom of a deck boat, it's going to be a lot of pounding.

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

You've got a lot to evaluate. Let me encourage you to seriously consider that Yamaha jet boat, even though jet drives aren't that popular on this forum. We've got a much older and smaller jet boat that we love. When ours was made, there was a performance hit i.e. jets were less efficient than prop drives. However, manufacturers resolved those issues probably 10 years ago. And Yamaha engines are far superior to what our is. You can usually go in shallower water with a jet, and cruising response is superior. No-wake steering is lousy, however, because it's dependent on that jet thrust. All in all, I'd get another jet boat if I could afford it. If you want to check that out, you can also look at

"www.jetboating.net and click on their forums. (This is dot-NET, not dot-com)