Solunar Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccoon520

Seaman
So I have been fishing (or at least drinking beer with a line in the water) for a while and I just came across this the other day. Is there any actual merit to this? Or does there just appear to be more activity because more people are fishing so there is a larger coverage of the water and possible bite locations. Just curious if fishing during the "major" times will actually have an effect on my luck.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
So I have been fishing (or at least drinking beer with a line in the water) for a while and I just came across this the other day. Is there any actual merit to this? Or does there just appear to be more activity because more people are fishing so there is a larger coverage of the water and possible bite locations. Just curious if fishing during the "major" times will actually have an effect on my luck.
The "Fishing Tables" have been the butt of a running jokes with us for years. Have a fishing buddy who pontificates his expectations based on the day's Solunar forecast every time we go fishing.

As a SW guy it's a know fact that fish bite better during tide changes (tidal movement) but that's pretty much where it stops for me. Atmospheric pressure has a huge impact as do water temps and light conditions. You can predict tide, water temps and light conditions well in advance but you can't predict the weather.

I'd take the waning hours before a hurricane over a blue bird day every time.

ccoon520

Seaman
The "Fishing Tables" have been the butt of a running jokes with us for years. Have a fishing buddy who pontificates his expectations based on the day's Solunar forecast every time we go fishing.

As a SW guy it's a know fact that fish bite better during tide changes (tidal movement) but that's pretty much where it stops for me. Atmospheric pressure has a huge impact as do water temps and light conditions. You can predict tide, water temps and light conditions well in advance but you can't predict the weather.

I'd take the waning hours before a hurricane over a blue bird day every time.
So if I understand what you are saying, correct me if I am not. Solunar is incomplete. It factors in what is possible to in the long term but depending shifting stuff like the weather altering pressure, water temp and light conditions it can collapse on itself?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
So if I understand what you are saying, correct me if I am not. Solunar is incomplete. It factors in what is possible to in the long term but depending shifting stuff like the weather altering pressure, water temp and light conditions it can collapse on itself?
As I noted above, light conditions and water temps are predictable from year to year. We have a hard time predicting the weather from one day to the next let alone long term.

I'll rush you to the dock in the hours before a strong low pressure system pushes through the area. Fishing in the hours ahead of the approach of a hurricane is awesome. Wouldn't bother getting out of bed with strong high pressure overhead or a "Blue bird" day

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
As I noted above, light conditions and water temps are predictable from year to year. We have a hard time predicting the weather from one day to the next let alone long term.

I'll rush you to the dock in the hours before a strong low pressure system pushes through the area. Fishing in the hours ahead of the approach of a hurricane is awesome. Wouldn't bother getting out of bed with strong high pressure overhead or a "Blue bird" day
Thats interesting. I've never heard that about approaching storms before. I wonder if that works everywhere? Up here around this time of year the cod get picky and harder to catch because they have been binging on capelin for the last month and are glutted and not eating, just lying on the bottom. My father used to say that when that happens you need a big wind to stir up the water and the cod throw up and get hungry again. Not sure if this is true, but he was a fisherman in his younger days and usually knew what he was talking about. He also said the best fishing was on a rising tide.

I’ve tried to fish on the “best” solunar days, and at the “major” times. Many times I’ve been skunked, or only landed a few. it seems like I used to catch more fish before I knew of solunar tables.

Solunar Tables have been around for decades, but I don't know any good anglers who pay the slightest bit of attention to them. There are just too many other variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.