Solo Launch

CapCrunch

Cadet
I am an experienced boater, but towing and launching for first time. Most of the time I will be alone at a ramp with no piers beside the ramp. Any suggestions as to how to lanch without getting my feet too wet?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Solo Launch

There are a number of techniques but the one I find works well is to get everything you need in your boat and all straps undone except for the winch strap or cable. Securely attach your bow line to the bow eye and tie the other end to the back of the trailer. Back in to the point where you can still reach the winch strap and unhook it. Continue to back in until the boat floats. As soon as it does, carefully drive forward and let the bow line tow the boat back to the ramp where you can now untie the bow line, hop in and park where you need to. As an aside, if you own a boat and are afraid to get your feet wet, you need a few more friends. :)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

DARN! And all this time I thought you were supposed to get your feet wet.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Ooops wrong thread . . .

Triton II

Commander

I launch solo a fair bit, especially on summer evenings if I've had a bad day at the office and the kids have homework. <br />I have a 50ft rope attached to the bow eye. My trailer has a walkway on one side. I back in as usual (until the stern of the boat is just in the water) and let the boat into the water with the winch. I hold onto the bow line and when the boat floats I use the bow line to pull the boat in tight against the v-blocks on the aft end of the trailer. This allows a bit of slack so you can undo the winch strap easily and stops the boat drfiting off. I then walk down the walkway, unhook the boat from the winch strap, hook the winchstrap onto the trailer and push the boat further into the water while hanging onto the bow line. I then go back up the walkway, and onto the ramp. Then I use the bow line to pull the boat onto the little beach next to the ramp, tie up the boat and go and park the car.<br />Retrieval is basically the opposite.<br />I only launch solo when the weather's OK... too much wind and it's fairly hard as my cuddy cabin 16ft boat has a fair bit of windage!<br />I can do this without getting my feet wet... but the odd time I fail miserably so I still launch and retrieve in shorts... just in case. The water temperature at the ramp is now down to 55 degrees F (coming into winter here) so it's cold if you stuff it up! :eek:

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by Upinsmoke:<br /> There are a number of techniques but the one I find works well is to get everything you need in your boat and all straps undone except for the winch strap or cable. Securely attach your bow line to the bow eye and tie the other end to the back of the trailer. Back in to the point where you can still reach the winch strap and unhook it. Continue to back in until the boat floats. As soon as it does, carefully drive forward and let the bow line tow the boat back to the ramp where you can now untie the bow line, hop in and park where you need to. As an aside, if you own a boat and are afraid to get your feet wet, you need a few more friends. :)
I do this nearly every time I am out alone and the ramp is deep enough to allow the boat to float off of the trailer. Sometime people standing by the ramp will start screaming at me saying "your boat is floating away" not realizing that there is 50' of bow line attached to the trailer. I usually tie the line to the winch stand.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

you need a roadcone suit like mine lol<br />Actually a navy survival suit.Waterproof up to the neck and fits over your normal clothes-with waterproof seals at the wrists. Works wonders.It's bright fluorescent orange and looks totally ridiculous-but I can dig my anchor in by hand and still stay dry then walk back to the trailer.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

A $9 pair of knee high rubber boots will keep you dry most of the time.