Solid Bow Cover

and2ram

Seaman
I tried a search but wasn't able to find anything regarding a solid or hard bow cover. I've seen a couple boats on here with them but am wondering if anyone has any insight into building one. It's less practical, sure, but I think it's what I would rather have for rough weather. I'm thinking aluminum with a wood frame.

Any pictures or insight would be great!

emoney

Commander
Re: Solid Bow Cover

You're talking about a mooring cover type? Is the goal to have a closed end boat, because if so, not sure building a solid insert would help you that much. Not counting the additional weight you'd be adding, and where would you store this when it's not "rough weather"? Why won't a regular mooring cover work, out of curiousity?

and2ram

Seaman
Re: Solid Bow Cover

Why won't a regular mooring cover work, out of curiousity?

I don't currently have a bow cover, the boat used to but it was missing when I bought it. I've gotten a quote of $225-$275 to have a new fabric one made. We have a baby and there's not usually a whole lot of people in the boat so I would rather have the covered storage for now and it would act as a small cuddy for when the baby grows a bit. It would also keep most rain out of the boat and keep the bow covered for when we head out on bigger waters. Plus I think it would just be cool:D. Not to mention it won't wear out in the sun, like a fabric would over time. I would make it removable so if there were a bunch of people on the boat I could just leave it at home. I should mention this is an 18' aluminum walk through so being aluminum the bow cover wouldn't look too out of place.