solenoids

pete42

Cadet
Have a 87 SeaRay..with 3.0L Chevy inline 4..Found one solenoid on starboard side of engine...Is there another? ....Thanks, Pete42 :confused:

Skinsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: solenoids

Why are you looking for solenoids?<br /><br />Those motors have two solenoids. Your keyswitch activates the one that you found, and that one activates the one on the starter..<br /><br />Scott.

Dean173

Recruit

Hey, <br /><br />I have an '87 also, same engine.<br /><br />Are you trying to track down a starter problem?<br /><br />Mine was clicking instead of starting, not always, but sporadically.<br /><br />The "helper" solenoid you found has four terminals, two small ones by the base, and two large ones on top.<br /><br />I shorted out the two large posts with a good-sized screwdriver. If the starter turns over consistently when you short them, you found the problem. If not, it may be the other, starter-mounted solenoid or the starter.<br /><br />The "helper" solenoid (OEM) cost me a little under $20 at a marina.<br /><br />HTH, Dean

pete42

Cadet

Thanks for the info...The problem I am having is it starts OK sometimes but then (intermitten) I turn key and "nothing"....It does this with engine warm or cold..After a few turns back and forth of starter key it "takes" and engine starts...(not a good feeling on the water though). :eek: .... I have cleaned all (that I could find) electrical connections and have replaced battery...Figure I would change the solenoids next then the starter (cheapest routes).....Any other suggestions?...Thanks again, Pete42

braindead0

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like the ignition switch could be the culprit.

Skinsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First thing to do, would be to reaplace that little solenoid that you found on the side of the motor. Those have a tendency to do that sort of thing. It's easy to get to, and fairly cheap to replace.<br /><br />Scott.

MrBill

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Head for the starter...sounds like worn brushes and/or armature

loadnet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds to me like you better seriously consider listening to BrainDead0's comment...<br /><br />The first thing you should do is try to get the ignition to duplicate the problem..<br /><br />When you are holding the key in the start position (and engine doesn't want to start) have someone throw a test light on the solenoid real quick to see if the ignition switch is sending juice - to - the solenoid to start with..<br /><br />If the test light doesn't light up when the ignition is in the 'start' position - clean or replace the ignition switch FIRST, then go from there...<br /><br />If you are holding the key in the start position and juice IS getting to the solenoid, TAP the solinoid with the handle of a screw driver or something and see if the engine spins over.<br /><br />If it does, clean or replace the solenoid you tapped to make the connection.<br /><br />That's what I'd do.<br />Doing a little testing eliminates your throwing costly parts at the boat.. <br /><br />Hope this helps you out..<br />Pat B. customerservice@401hosting.com

loadnet

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also forgot to mention that some boats shifter controls must be in Neutral position precisly or motor will NOT turn over..no matter what..<br /><br />Turn key into start positon.<br />Engine doesn't turn over?... wiggle the shifter around in the Neutral positon and see wha happens.<br /><br />It may be just a bad connection under the shifter control mechanisim. <br /><br />PB

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Pete42 Go with Braindead0 and Captain Hooknfinger they are on the right track, I had the same problem turned out to be the cheap "made in Korea" ignition switch.

Skinsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If your worried about throwing away money on parts, just put a volt meter on the solenoid on top of the motor. One side will be hot, and one will not (and will also probably be a yellow wire with a red tracer). Put the meter on the side with no voltage, then turn the key. If you hear a click, but get no or low voltage (12 volts is what you want) on the meter, then it is the solenoid<br />That solenoid doesn't have to pass much amperage because all it's doing is sending voltage to the solenoid on the starter, which is the one carrying all the load.<br /><br />I've run into many more bad solenoids in this situation, than bad key switches. <br /><br />but hey.. I'm just the guy in the back.<br /><br />Scott.