solenoid question

morpheus847

Cadet
well im pretty sure my solenoid is going bad. When it's cold outside all it does is click click. If you cross it over and start it and get everything warm then it will start the rest of the day. My question is will a ford solenoid work or a lawnmower solenoid. I've read other places that it will burn out the saftey switch and it grounds throught the mounting plate. But looking at the one thats on it, it grounds the same way wire coming from ground post to base where it's bolted on. Why would a ford solenoid burn out a saftey switch. The only differences i can see is the marine one has rubber surrounding it. My guess is to try to isolate it from vibration.

larky

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: solenoid question

I have used a ford soleniod with no problems....... but i have read that will do as you say, maybe i just got lucky. anyway have you tried just cleaning every conection, not just looking, but cleaning with a wire brush and putting a little grease on them? had the same problem in april

moterboat

Petty Officer 1st Class

a cole hershey constant duty relay would be most dependable for you..
or a relay for a golf kart.

a universal constant duty relay are around $38.00, may be cheaper to purchase the oem solenoid for your boat..

useing a ford relay you might find that it sticks once in a while which will cause the engine to continue cranking over after you have released the key,
thats my past experince with those relays..:D

morpheus847

Cadet

oh ok. What about the relays you find on lawnmowers or gokarts. the small ones that have the battery post side by side and only have the trigger wire. Would those work or not be strong enough

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Those solenoids probably don't have contacts capable of handling the amount of current an outboard starter draws. The contacts will therefore weld together from the heavy arcing and you are again stuck with the engine continuing to spin after it starts. Put the proper solenoid on the engine or at least use the Ford solenoid.