Solenoid for house electronics?

Streffpilot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone used a solenoid for running power to the main "house" (radio lights etc not engine) ?? I'm thinking a switch that runs power to a solenoid so that one switch turns on or off power to everything?? Is this normal for boats??? I know this is what we use in the airplane world, but I'm curious about boats.

Streffpilot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Solenoid for house electronics?

My goal is to have as much as possible run off of the main key or switch. I dont want any physical battery disconnects. just a "turn key" operation. :D

Streffpilot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is exactly what I had in mind. I even thought of running the power to the solenoid off of the main battery connected to the outboard, that way I can just let the alternator handle the extra current. any thoughts???

Auger01

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is exactly what I had in mind. I even thought of running the power to the solenoid off of the main battery connected to the outboard, that way I can just let the alternator handle the extra current. any thoughts???

That would be a good way to do it. Running all the house loads off the engine harness usually inst reccomended. If you have a lot of stuff, like a stereo, that you want to run for a long time with the engine off, I would use a seperate switch to control the solenoid. That way the engine electronics dont have to be on just to listen to the stereo.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you wired it to the ignition on, you wouldn't have power(light, etc) with the key in the off position. Doesn't sound desirable to me.

I would use a manual switch.