Sola's props?

Rangerbilt

Cadet
I just bought a 14 X 21P 4 blade aluminum prop by Sola's, what do you guys think of that prop. I currently have a 3 blade 23P Lasr II stainless steel. I'm curremtly having a cavitation problem on take off. My outboard will rev from 3000RPM to 4000RPM before it plains. The Max RPM is 5600RPM. <br /><br />FYI, my outboard ia a 1983 Mercury 150HP.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sola's props?

Its almost impossible to get the same performance out of an aluminum prop that you get out of a ss prop. Especially comparing a performance based prop to a price based prop.<br /><br />What you are seeing is just what we would have expected. At the least we wouldnt have been suprised.

Rangerbilt

Cadet

Originally posted by Dhadley:<br /> Its almost impossible to get the same performance out of an aluminum prop that you get out of a ss prop. Especially comparing a performance based prop to a price based prop.<br /><br />What you are seeing is just what we would have expected. At the least we wouldnt have been suprised.
Hey Dhadley, would the 4 blade 21P prop takes care of the cavitation problem? That's all I'm aiming for. Not really worried much about speed. I just want to plain without my engine revving up on take off. It doesn't sound good. Thanks!

Rangerbilt

Cadet

Originally posted by walleyehed:<br /> Do you have vent plugs in the LaserII prop???
walleyehead, I have plugged all three vents, then just two, then one, then I leave them all open, it didn't really matter... On take off, my engine will revved from 3000 to 4000 immediately after it plains. I have lowered the engine one hole, thinking that the engine might be too high but that didn't help either. What's puzzling me was originally the prop that it came with when I bought the boat was a 24P Turbo prop, @WOT the RPM was at 6000 and the rooster tail was really high it also cavitates and the holeshot sucks. So I replaced the prop with the Laser II 23P, my holeshot got a little better but it stils cavitates and what's puzzling me was the WOT RPM is now only 5800 :confused: <br /><br />Anyway, that's the reason why I bought the Solas 4 blade 21P. I'm hoping to elliminate the cavitaton. <br /><br />I received the Sola prop yesterday. I'm taking it out to the lake this weekend weather permetting of course.<br /><br />thank you all for the help.

walleyehed

Admiral

The Laser II 23P should show about 200-300 more RPM than the 24 Turbo, UNLESS we have a prop that has been worked and we don't know it.<br />Always run with all, or without all plugs in vent holes..it can cause some stress to the lower end that you don't need.<br />Let's back-up some and tell us a bit about your boat, such as type, length, do you have a jackplate and where is the Anti-ventilation plate in refference to the hull bottom??

Rangerbilt

Cadet

Originally posted by walleyehed:<br /> The Laser II 23P should show about 200-300 more RPM than the 24 Turbo, UNLESS we have a prop that has been worked and we don't know it.<br />Always run with all, or without all plugs in vent holes..it can cause some stress to the lower end that you don't need.<br />Let's back-up some and tell us a bit about your boat, such as type, length, do you have a jackplate and where is the Anti-ventilation plate in refference to the hull bottom??
That's what I thought, that I would endure having 200-300 more RPM just as long it fixes the cavitation and the holeshot problem. <br /><br />Anyway, My boat is a 1993 372V Ranger, it's 17' 10" long and 84" wide. The motor was a 1983 150 Mercury Blackmax. I'm not exactly sure but I think the anti cavitation plate is even with the bottom of the hull. I'll double check when I get home today and post the exact measurements. Thanks!

Rangerbilt

Cadet

Well, I took the boat out for test run with the new ALUMINUM 4 blade Solas prop 14 X 21, it replaces a Laser II prop ? X 23P. It improve my holeshot and no more cavitation. It handled pretty good also even though its windy 10-20MPH. What's puzzling was the MAX RPM, my motor can only go as high as 5600 RPM?? The pitch is lower so I was expecting more RPM but it didn't happen. Is it because of 4 blades vs 3 blades? <br /><br />The main thing is I'm happy with the reuslt so I'm keeping the prop and the Laser II will be my back up....