Solar panels for charging batteries???

BillT111

Cadet
Hi,<br />Does anyone have any experience using solar panels to re-charge batteries. I have a new dock and it's over 500' to the nearest power pole. Would like to use solar panels to keep boat batteries charged up and power my hydrolift using batteries and an inverter.<br /><br />Does anyone have any experience with setting up or using such a system?<br /><br /><br />Your input is appreciated!!!!!<br /> BillT111@aol.com

petryshyn

Commander
Re: Solar panels for charging batteries???

Hello B.Takagi <br /><br />Stay away from converters and invertors as much as possible. They’re expensive and not very efficient, and it sounds like you need efficiency for your application. <br />Even for your hydro lift, I would consider retrofitting a 12 volt motor.<br />> As far as charging with solar panels, I’d recommend a pulse charger regulator if you want any longevity out of those batteries. I get about 2 years life out of my solar charged batteries without the right charger. I’m going to build an appropriate regulator. <br /><br />>I’m not sure what kind of lighting requirements you have, but the LED lights that Buses and trucks are equipped with for signal and brakes are incredibly efficient, bright and reasonably watertight.<br /><br />good luck <br /> :)

dustydiesel

Cadet

I mounted a solar panel on my house trailer last summer. For my use I think it worked well and plan on geting one of the small ones to plug into the cigar lighter on the boat to keep the battery up if it sits for any long periods between use. www.icpglobal.com is the web site of the one that I bought ,it is worth the read. I think (from a book I read long time ago)that they work best aimed true south and tilted to the angle of parallel that you live<br />45th parallel=45 degrees .

petryshyn

Commander

hi dustydiesel <br /><br />The 15w solar panel at your posted website is the one I've been using. They will overcharge a battery in warm climates. A regulator is needed for longevity. I also found that they lose output over time. I'm on my 3rd one now. Not really impressed. I'll put a 150' of cord in before I replace another.<br /><br />just my experience :)

dustydiesel

Cadet

hi schematic I can see why you would not be to impressed I bought the 5w model same thing just smaller. On average how long did each panel last? It shows them mounted flat on there web site I was wondering if they would pool water that would soak in and cause problems. How did you mount yours?

petryshyn

Commander

dustydiesel <br /> <br />I got 2 years of service before I noticed a drop in output. I mounted mine at a 45 deg. angle. I can't see water being a problem since their working elements are sealed in glass. I now cover it with black plastic when not in use, hoping to get longer life out of it. <br /><br />There is a problem with leaving a small constant charge current on a battery for long periods of time. They suffer from permanent sulphation as they would if they were left dead. "IF" you're a hobbyist, read this web page<br />This will give an interesting alternative to just slow charging.<br />This might be a little intense for some.<br /><br />Atleast put a 7815 regulator and a couple diodes in the circuit...(cheap) let me know if you need any help!<br /> :)

BillT111

Cadet

Guys, <br />Thanks for the info.I'm still in the "fact finding" stage on this solar thing.<br />My dock is over 500feet from a utility pole and the Army Corps of Engneers requires alot of inspections,permits , etc..I really thought solar panels and batteries to drive 12 volt lights on the dock(probably florescent type as they use less amps),also I could charge my boat batteries during the week and also run my lift off an inverter connected to 2 deepcycle batteries on the dock in a locker. <br /><br />As far ar a regulator to "limit" overcgarging batteries,,,what do you reccomend?<br /><br />Some one replied and mentioned using a "pulse"type regulator...Can you tell me more about them and what makes them better?<br /><br />As for limited life of panels....what size and brand of panel was it? Do all panels go bad in time?<br /><br />I appreciate all your input.<br />Email me or just post on here,<br />Thanks Again All!! BillT111@aol.com

petryshyn

Commander

hi<br /><br />I think we need a little more info to be accurate in our comments....<br /><br />>How often are you using the lights?<br />>How much will they draw?<br />>How much current does your hydrolift draw?<br />>How many seconds to a cycle?<br />>How many lift cycles in a day?<br /><br /> :confused: