Solar Lighting for red/green and anchor light.

Fzy1

Cadet
I was looking for a solar light system for the Bow Lights.

I want to go as green as possible on my boat and extend my Battery time.

Currently I have a anchor light that is solar. It is very bright and lasts all night.

Does anyone know of one?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Solar Lighting for red/green and anchor light.

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

I have never heard of a USCG-approved solar-powered anchor light.

Be that as it may, you will only use the bow navigation light(s) when making way. What are you using for propulsion?

Fzy1

Cadet

right now I am still assessing the over all repairs needed to the Boat.

It is an Arrow Glass Cougar... a Tri-hull. I just bought it for 250. However it needs pretty much everything. there was a hole covered by a single sheet of half inch plywood. that was not sealed in any way.

the motor needs a water pump I am told. the tilt/ motor lift is disconnected. Like I said I am still assessing it.

I have no body work skills.

I am eager to try.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

NYBo's question was about the motor. Navigation lights are only used when you're underway, i.e., when the motor is running. If the motor has an alternator it's charging your battery and replacing whatever current is drawn by the lights. Ergo, solar lighting is unnecessary- and as previously mentioned, NOT USCG approved.

Change your anchor light over to LED (USCG approved, of course) and don't worry about the nav. lights (provided your motor charges the battery).

My .02

Fzy1

Cadet

Thank you gentlemen for the information.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

As other have said bow red and green lights can only be on when under way. Under way means you are not anchored or tied to a dock. If you turn the bow red and green light on while anchored you can to sighted by Coast Guard.
If your drift fishing you are under way and red an green must be on and ofCourse with motor or sailing must be on at night or restricted visabilty.

If you want low battery drain then by LED Bow, and Stern lights.
Higher cost but low battery drain and very long life.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

If your drift fishing you are under way and red an green must be on and ofCourse with motor or sailing must be on at night or restricted visabilty.

If you want low battery drain then by LED Bow, and Stern lights.
Higher cost but low battery drain and very long life.

Dang- forgot about drifting (I don't do it). Good catch!