Solar Chargers ?

cnccustom

Seaman
Looking for a battery maintainer /charger to hook up while my boat is stored.....problem is I have no power outlet there so I am looking into a Solar charging unit

do these work and what are the downfalls....Thanks

carljh

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Solar Chargers ?

I have a 1.8w solar panel which keeps my deep cycle battery almost fully charged. After 4 months it takes 20 minutes for the battery to reach full charge when connected to the charger.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

The right unit can work good.
Downfalls can be several. Most unit are too small to charge the battery. The one above is .15 amps so not even 2/10 of a amp.
Some unit will discharge battery at night and charge in daytime. Make sure it has a diode built in to prevent this.
Many units large enough to charge the battery have no voltage regulator so will over charge.
Unit needs a flat surface and the sun so you can not cover your boat to keep the dirt, rain and bird stuff out.
Good units big enough to do any good with a voltage regulator and blocking diode are quite expensive and really have no track record of how long they will hold up.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Put a quick-connect system on the battery and take it home with you for charging with a smart charger. Solar will get stolen.

cnccustom

Seaman

Thanks for all the replys......actually the boat is stored at my Dads in his driveway... I live in a apt. and can't store it here...just don't want to have him tripping over a ext. cord....

I don't like storing it without the cover on and did not even think about that..

I may have to just put a fast charge on it before we take it out everytime.....

What amp fast charger should I get just for topping off.....?

oh yea its a deep cycle battery

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If left too long you can also over-charge, and ruin your battery. ( I found that out the hard way). They make a controller to prevent this. If you only need to maintain your batteries a solar charger will work, as long as you don,t expect to charge drained batteries.

Jim

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Your batteries will last longer if you charge at least once a month all year round. When you discharge battery charge it as soon as possible. The longer it is discharged the more damage is done.

Get a smart charger that will not over charge or a automatic charger. I would not get smaller than 10 amps and if your useing a normal size boat battery group 24, 27 or larger 15 or 20 amps will not hurt it.