soft floor advice needed!

lx.crowell

Seaman Apprentice
Looking at a 1974 correct craft mustang 17 ft. The guy has told me that he had the stringers meter tested and they came back good, and the foam under the floor was dry but the floor has a soft spot up in between the front seats. Not sure on the course of action that should be taken because I have heard numerous times on here that a fiberglass boat will rot inside out and that if your floor is soft more often then not your stringers are bad, so it is makeing me leary. So first are those meter tests even that accurate? And can the floor be soft and the stringers not actualy be rotten? any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: soft floor advice needed!

Do not take the seller's word for it.

Have it surveyed yourself if you are serious.

1974 is an old boat and unless you are really in love with it.....it is not worth it. The old technology, old obsolete motor and pure age are all factors.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

It's possible the deck is rotten and the stringers are still good... that's what happened with my boat. It was still expensive to fix.

foodfisher

Captain

Mine also. The stringers were good with a soft spot under the open bow. Still a lot of work and time to fix.

QuietRider21

Seaman

ive never used a moisture meter so i dont know how they work.. but certain areas of the stringers can be good while other areas are not. to repair a small area of the floor isnt a huge deal..but if there are partially rotted stringers or wet foam, its a MUCH bigger job

NYBo

Admiral

Yes, it is possible for there to be a soft spot in the cockpit sole ("deck") but the stringers and transom to be sound. But verify!

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Yes it is possible. Could be over a space the fuel tank rests in. A boat that old is going to have problems.

So first are those meter tests even that accurate? And can the floor be soft and the stringers not actualy be rotten? any advice would be helpful. Thanks

I've read how moisture meters work, and IMO they're not all that reliable. The true test is to take a sample, weigh it on a lab scale, heat it to drive off the moisture, and re-weigh.

If you buy that boat you should be prepared for the worst - deck, stringers, AND transom. I guess I'm more on the skeptical side than some of the other replies so far, I'm rebuilding my third boat right now and on all 3 the seller swore up and down that everything was perfectly fine except for a little soft spot. The first one I was naive and didn't know any better, a year later I had to shut the boat down for the summer because I found that the transom was bad (and stringers, but somehow the foam was good). The next boats I knew going in what to expect, and sure enough each turned into all out rebuild projects.

IMO I'd stay away from that boat unless you're fully prepared to do a rebuild. Sure, you MIGHT get lucky and just have to replace a portion of the deck, but knowing how boats are constructed I can say that moisture has a bad habit of spreading like cancer from one part to anything touching it. I also know that a large portion of people selling boats are either overly optimistic about the integrity of their boat, or else are downright liars.

southkogs

Staff member

1974 is an old boat and unless you are really in love with it.....it is not worth it. The old technology, old obsolete motor and pure age are all factors.
If it's a smokin' (and I do mean "unreal") deal on a boat with a good Mercruiser, then perhaps you might pursue it a bit more to see if it's just the floor. Othewise, Bob's right ... It's not gonna' be worth it.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If your looking for a long term labor intensive project to occupy your time and money, buy it cheap and go for it. In the end you'll either have something worthless your tired of fooling with or you'll have an awesome restored antique boat that isn't worth anywhere near what you have in it but can be very proud of. If you want to go boating run away.

lx.crowell

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you all the boat does not have a mercuiser it is a inboard with a 289 ford or chrysler block, don't know if that changes anything with the transom? But that floor just makes me feel uneasy about driving over 200 miles to look at it and be disappointed. And metriccresentwrench i know exactly what you are talking about, I am restoring a old wood outboard that it seems like "oh thats just two frames" then it turns into every single frame and then some. So with that being said i know quite a bit about plywod outboard boats but not alot about inboard fiberglass boats. Agian thank you all for the advice.