Soft bottom anchor question

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok here goes a question for you old..er, I mean experienced guys.

I keep a danforth style anchor in my bow locker with about 7' of heavy chain for most anchoring situations and in the sand bottom of lake michigan it is rock solid. But...
The other day on an inland lake it wouldn't hold for anything. Plenty of line was let out and in about 40' of water. The bottom is very soft, the anchor and chain was totally below grade and we pulled it about 150-200' in an hour or so. :rolleyes: Pretty light winds and calm conditions.
So, the question is what type of anchor would you recomend for this type of bottom? (I'll keep my eyes open because not everyone uses chain or can't tie a decent knot!)

And as a side, how have you found the best way to keep the gel coat around the locker in good shape?

Thanks all, and have a great 4th weekend!

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Soft bottom anchor question

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be on the lookout for one and give it a try.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You might try an oversize fluke style anchor, AKA Storm Anchor. I am surprized your standard fluke anchor wouldn't hold. I would be surprized if that river anchor held better than your fluke anchor.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I have a navy anchor (28lbs anchor) for a 19'/3000lb boat. Holds in a soft muddy bottom. 5 hours with no movement.